• Display
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: HDR thread

A camera is only as good as the imagination behind it.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great link and only way we will learn is to be shown or read about it. I tried this one and probably because a bird is missing from this perch but happy to practice on these.

This took about 15 minutes to process from a RAW file. Looking forward to understanding it all!!

Regards,
    Chris.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The PDF is definitely the magazine, I downloaded it and the pages are right

HDR starts on page 46 and ends on page 52... Trust me, read it, very insightful. Inspired my two entries (and even inspired me to try some triple bracketed exposures with my 500N - still have to get that film developed, nervous LOL)

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdy guys and gals, I went out and bought that mag Mel and yeah its got a great write up of HDR so inspired me to have another go this evening just out the front door. The sky is blown out a bit on the horizon I think but had a play in photomatix (unfortunately haven't bought it so you'll have to excuse the watermarks. Anyway what do you think - I still don't think I've got the hang of it yet, but as they say keep on practicing.
    Trace.
    Feel free to pick it apart.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly..shotz View Post
    Jack, this one looks like the unprocessed state and if anything it is underdone rather than overdone and needs more tone mapping from what I have experienced so far. Just above the fence, the cloud has blown right out. I also adjust the brighness in the original image before saving the other four exposures. Tone mapping should be able to fix the above maybe or adjusting the RAW file before saving the first file.
    Ok thanks mate! Damn I go out for tea come home and three pages haha nice HDR images guys.

Jack.W

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heres another one the sky isn't quite so bad, what do you think.
    Trace.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK,
    I've located the original files and taken Mel's advice and it has worked wonders, deleted 2 of the most over exposed RAW files and combined them again.
    Cloned away the blown out area of the roof and some minor tweaks in PS.
    And much happier with the result.

Thanks very much Chris and Mel for your assistance.
    Have downloaded the mag, now I have to extract it, need to install winrar.

Bill.
    Last edited by B_J; 11-01-2009 at 10:29 AM.
    Bill.

Canon 40D + some glass

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To my limited understanding, a true HDR requires multiple exposure shots. This is because HDR represents an image with higher dynamic range than any single RAW or JPG shot can have. Extending the exposure settings from a single shot does not extend the dynamic range (you still have only the max number of stops that the camera can capture in one shot, you can't extend this unless you have multiple shots). Of course you can still produce great results by tonemapping a single shot (at different exp settings) and although it looks like a HDR, in fact your eyes are tricked and in fact the details that you see are guessed by the program but not the real details (data) that were captured by the camera. On the other hand, multiple shots taking at different exposure when being tonemapped give you a real HDR image with extended dynamic range. Most of the time you can get a good HDR by taking 3 standard exposure shots (-2..0..+2 EV) but for really contrasty scene more shots are required to be able to capture the whole dynamic range. The number of shots you can take to make a HDR is (somewhat) unlimited. It depends on how far you want with your final results.

Here are a few HDRs I've done (still pretty new in this field too), all were from 3 standard exp bracketed shots (-2..0..+2 EV) taken handheld. Tonemapping was done on TIFF files (exported from RAWs by Lightroom 2) by Photomatix 3 using Details Enhancer option. The images were finetuned in Photoshop CS3 with Levels/Curves and Saturation.

CCs are welcome as always.

Jackie
    Canon EOS 5D II + EF 24-70mm

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trace, you're getting the idea now

That article is very insightful, isn't it? I liked the bit where they point out that HDR can be used to create an image looking out a window where you can see what is inside the window as well as outside because you are merging two images which are exposed for the two different environments That made me stop and think, and made me realise the true point of HDRI.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackie, I love that first one, but find myself wondering if you could acheive a similar result with a ND grad filter or a polarizer ???

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just been re-reading that part myself Mel. I had a photo exactly like that out of the RMB Endeavour and it didn't turn out obviously. If only I had this mag then I would of had an unreal one. I still seem to have trouble with the sky but will have to keep practicing. When I do the bracketed photos -2, 0, +2 and expose for everything else the sky seems to be still blowing out. But when I try and compensate for the sky everything else is to dark. I think the next option would be to do 2 sets of 3.
    Trace.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtjs View Post
    Anyway what do you think - I still don't think I've got the hang of it yet, but as they say keep on practicing.
    Trace.
    Feel free to pick it apart.
    Trace, I like your HDR, the setting is appealing, dynamic range is good and the sky isn't a big enough feature to be much of a problem.
    With practice we will improve.

Bill.
    Bill.

Canon 40D + some glass

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MistieWatters View Post
    Jackie, I love that first one, but find myself wondering if you could acheive a similar result with a ND grad filter or a polarizer ???
    I bet you could. But HDR allows me to get similar results without having to buy many (expensive) filters

I guess most of my shots were not the typical scenes where HDR really shines. HDR is typically useful in highly contrasty scene where virtually no camera will be able to capture all the details in one single shot. For example if you shoot inside a church where the light come from many windows with nice decorations on them. There's no way you can expose the church interior properly without blowing out the windows which mean you'll lose all the decorations on the windows. If you expose the windows then the whole church will be black out. This is where HDR will really shine, the end image will show all the details inside the church as well as those on the windows. Hope you can imagine what I'm talking about

I have not much chance going out and shoot HDR but so far I love the results it can give.

It's nice to see many people having interest in this field too, and nice too see many great shots from everyone.
    Jackie

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by findonsa View Post
    I bet you could. But HDR allows me to get similar results without having to buy many (expensive) filters

I guess most of my shots were not the typical scenes where HDR really shines. HDR is typically useful in highly contrasty scene where virtually no camera will be able to capture all the details in one single shot. For example if you shoot inside a church where the light come from many windows with nice decorations on them. There's no way you can expose the church interior properly without blowing out the windows which mean you'll lose all the decorations on the windows. If you expose the windows then the whole church will be black out. This is where HDR will really shine, the end image will show all the details inside the church as well as those on the windows. Hope you can imagine what I'm talking about

I have not much chance going out and shoot HDR but so far I love the results it can give.

It's nice to see many people having interest in this field too, and nice too see many great shots from everyone.
    You mean like this?

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackie you are getting fantastic results with HDR. Trace both attempts are great and they display a wider range. Something I am not getting from the single file.

I do like the effect it creates from one file though but I don't think I will term them as HDR in future after doing a bit more reading. They are considered Tone mapped images, not HDR.
    Regards,
    Chris.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just been re-reading this mag article and understand that as Jackie said they are more suited to high contrasty images. Also read that depending on the subject that you can take any amount of photos and combine them - their example of 2 to 16 photos. So now after posting my photo I understand that I can take more to allow for the blown out sky if I wanted. I originally thought that you could only take the three. Which answers why Bill was taking 8 different exposures. I guess you only have to be careful that you don't take too many as in your case Bill when the overexposed ones were effecting all the others.
    Trace.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, well i am at the next stage. i Have the camera set to AEB to take three images. -2 0 +2 set on burst mode. camera is also set to RAW. (just starting with three images for now)

When I download the images and process them do I need to save them as a 16 bit tiff file and then merge the three in photomatix?
    Regards,
    Chris.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mel, yeah that was what I meant.

Chris, I usually save save as TIFF 16 bit to retain the maximum data available for HDR generation, but I guess you can save in whatever format you want. Photomatix can even process from RAW files but it has to decode the files and sometimes I feel it doesn't do a good job.
    Jackie

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great, thanks Jackie. Going to find something suitable to photograph to make my first HDR.
    Regards,
    Chris.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Image Editing
    No
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that HDR is a great tool for when filters don't work as well, such as on cloudy days to keep detail in the sky as well as the high contrast scenes like looking out of windows etc.

I find I usually have to do a bit of photoshopping before I like the result though.

Here is one taken from UQ yesterday afternoon, the original sky was lacking in detail despite an ND4 Grad filter.

P.S Mistie thanks for posting the link to the mag - so much useful stuff in there!
    cheers

Nat

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast