Thread: Convict Lake

Image Editing
    No
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convict Lake

The negative used here was 4x5 Ilford FP4 film developed in a pyro-metol formula. The print is on Ilford MG Classic fibre paper developed in Ansco 103 followed by selenium toning. It was very cold on this particular morning in the High Sierra country. As I stood there waiting to make my first exposure, a young man who claimed to be a photographer came up to me and said I had missed a better shot of the scene an hour earlier. I have never understood what he meant by that because I was there just as the sun came up over the ridge to illuminate the face of the mountain in the background, and I remained for a time afterward to make additional exposures as conditions changed. While I wished for better cloud formations, I could not have asked for better light at the moment this exposure was made. I suppose that young man and and I simply had different tastes in the realm of camera work.

N. Riley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ConvictLake_nriley2b.jpg  

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Convict Lake

Good composition and lighting. The clouds do detract a little but it’s very representative of mountain landscapes.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really lovely, your patience paid off (& fitness too, for schlepping the large format around!). Was this your favourite shot from the series? Curious to know what the young chap was shooting with.

Image Editing
    No
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much. This was the only shot I made that morning. The young man who approached me had no camera in hand, so I don't know what he used. I assumed he was staying at the resort nearby and had left his camera behind before venturing out again and running into me.

N. Riley