Thread: Heir Apparent ... Baby In A Manger

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heir Apparent ... Baby In A Manger

The first egg, of many to come, unless the nest is destroyed. Itís what people do in fear and lacking understanding, not to mention the care it takes to avoid disturbing a nest of this kind, situated as it is and in proximity to people.

She can be dangerous, fierce in her protection of the nest, with a sting sheís famous for. But not so careless as to throw away her life without cause. And so is the window for mutual respect, due care and attention to her needs.

After using a small 12″ laptop for 5 weeks I really appreciate these pictures on a bigger 24″ screen. So much better, more detailed, and easier on these old eyes. If you are on a small screen see them on a bigger one, even the TV.

From three cells to four, future development in mind, she builds her castle a room at a time. She uses her antennae to listen to her egg developing. Iím sure she can hear things we canít. And isnít she photogenic, against a clear background.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Heir Apparent ... Baby In A Manger

Day and night she climbs all over the nest, checking for any flaws in the structure or signs of invasion by other creatures that would take advantage of her work. Watching out for the health of the egg. Such is her nature, ever vigilant.

Here she is laying the second egg. It’s as close as I could get without risk of disturbing her or the nest, and that wouldn’t do for my photogenic friend. I would have her survive the season without having to move home mid-birth.

After a short while photographing her she got used to me and no longer made those staccato dancing moves that indicate she is alarmed and on the verge of attack. If I had stayed longer she would have come to accept me as part of her nature and so would the offspring, though still wild, make no mistake. Some of the best safaris happen in the garden.

I noticed this queen paper wasp nesting in an out of the way place. So I observed her a while.

Over the weeks the nest grew slowly from three cells to five. So she was preparing for the future, a castle for her little dynasty.

I didn’t see her come and go, to gather the materials for the building. In fact I thought she was conserving herself, for the first egg to grow.

Obviously she had other designs in her mind. Her young would develop, the first would help with the next, and so on until …

Some would take off and start the process somewhere else, and on it goes. That’s nature, never ending, always burgeoning.

No matter what we do to the earth, and we are doing more than can be told, she will survive. But things will change.

And ‘adapt or die’ will echo through the psyche, as it has down the ages. Forms come and go, life goes on.

No point in lamenting the past. It takes pain for Man to change, unfortunately, or not.

So it is we develop in time, until time’s up.

Maybe it’s all just apparent.

Maybe not ...

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masterful images - as is the cycle of life

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robbymac View Post
    Masterful images - as is the cycle of life
    Indeed, thanks Robby.

The images appear cut on the right on my small laptop, the usual scroll bar nowhere to be seen. If that's the standard here now it's not good.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man I love your photos and the way tell the story. Great work!

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Patterson View Post
    Man I love your photos and the way tell the story. Great work!
    Thanks Nate.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truly wonderful shots. The behaviour captured is terrific and the beauty of these much maligned creatures shown in all its glory.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hispid View Post
    Truly wonderful shots. The behaviour captured is terrific and the beauty of these much maligned creatures shown in all its glory.
    They are beauties, aren't they. Thanks H...