• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner post

Hi my name is Mariah, I am new in this forum and really want to join you people. I love photography though I am a graphics designer but I am now trying to learn photography and that is why I have joined this forum. Please do help me and give me some advice to start my journey.

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Beginner post

welcome; post photos and ask questions is a good start

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you going to use your photography in your career ?.
    Canon R

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    welcome; post photos and ask questions is a good start
    Hi!! thanks fir your reply. Actually as a beginner I know I would ask a lots of silly questions and I am really concerned about how people will take this. I love to take street photos with open wide road and beautiful scenes. The problem is that I really do nit know which lens should I buy for that and also I love to take night photos where I can capture lights with my camera. I tried night photography before but what I see with my eyes is not there in the picture. I really wonder the reason behind that. I want to capture and keep what I saw with my eyes. There are plenty of lenses out in the market and btw I use a Sony camera with a very basic lens. People with great cameras take great photos. So please recommend me some lenses which I can use to capture more lights and that is also wide angled. One more thing, I have heard that we have to buy one lens for one individual purpose, is it true ? or we can just buy one lens and can perform several functions?. Please let me know and advice me something.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mariah1902 View Post
    Hi!! thanks fir your reply. Actually as a beginner I know I would ask a lots of silly questions and I am really concerned about how people will take this. I love to take street photos with open wide road and beautiful scenes. The problem is that I really do nit know which lens should I buy for that and also I love to take night photos where I can capture lights with my camera. I tried night photography before but what I see with my eyes is not there in the picture. I really wonder the reason behind that. I want to capture and keep what I saw with my eyes. There are plenty of lenses out in the market and btw I use a Sony camera with a very basic lens. People with great cameras take great photos. So please recommend me some lenses which I can use to capture more lights and that is also wide angled. One more thing, I have heard that we have to buy one lens for one individual purpose, is it true ? or we can just buy one lens and can perform several functions?. Please let me know and advice me something.
    Hi,

First off I would say the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. As for you camera all cameras these days are very capable and will give good results if used the right way. 99% of the time a good photo comes from a good photographer the other 1% is luck in my opinion. Even the best and most expensive camera in the world won't take a good photo on its own or in the hands of a average photographer.

You should post a few of your photos and tell us what you were hoping to achieve to give us idea of what you are getting compared to what you are after so we can offer suggestions. Also gear and lens recommendations will follow when you post a few shots.

I look forward to seeing a few of your photos.

Cheers Nate

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Patterson View Post
    Hi,

First off I would say the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Cheers Nate
    I was going to say the same thing

Firstly; gear is important; but too many think and make it too important

If you own phone with a reasonable camera then you have a good camera to start learning with

"good photography is about light, the quality of that light, and shadows from that light"

I usually suggest the first camera should be a high quality point and shoot; and the last camera you need is an old fashioned Dslr

By using a more basic P+S you will learn the better "big" camera you most likely need for the subjects you prefer --- that if you need a "big" camera at all.

I would say i used mostly basic cameras; and advanced editing, to capture most of the photos in this thread. Work back through the thread until you get bored

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with both Nate and Ian in that photography at it's most basic level is all about capturing light and shade and almost any camera can do that, and do it well if the person using it does a few things well.

I'm here to say photography is much more than that. It records memories, captures elusive subjects and for me it provides a means of telling stories without words.

Photography is a great hobby and can be made into a great business with a lot of hard work, long hours and plenty of disappointments. Practice, practice, practice and learn what your camera, whatever type may be, does well and what it doesn't then work within those parameters and you'll do just fine.

Good luck with it and don't be afraid to share your work with us.