• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varied Thrush 2019

FP4 in PMK on Ilford MG Classic with Ansco 103.
    Shen Hao HZX with Sironar -N @ 1:45 x 5 minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NRiley_varied_thrush.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	83690

N. Riley

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Varied Thrush 2019

The image is fine, but I don't get the connection.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    The image is fine, but I don't get the connection.
    It's not about connections or messages - no such thing was intended or implied. In my practice of the art, still work is strictly about aesthetics, and the results are either pleasing to me for one or more reasons or they're not. I find the one above to be pleasing on account of the tones and textures rendered, and adequate inasmuch as the components that make up the image work well together despite the fact that they are, as you point out, unrelated. The same may be said for all of my still life images, the majority of which, like the one above and the one immediately below, juxtapose scrap metal with a thing living or derived from something that once lived. How and why I hit on this particular combination is a story for another time. Let it suffice to say that this combination works for me and that these images are generally well-received. I am not permitted to post a link to my site here just yet, but if you Google my name, "Norman Riley," you will easily find the site. When judged in the context of my other efforts in this direction, I hope you will see that these images are, as I claim, about aesthetics, not commentary. On the other hand, you may not agree and that, of course, is perfectly fine because your opinions about art photography are no more or less valid than mine. I sincerely appreciate your feedback, and so I end this reply by thanking you for taking the time to look at the image and to offer your comment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bird5.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	83709

N. Riley

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I've operated in a mechanical field all my life which requires me to have a degree of logic in what I see.

Art of course often defies logic and deals more with emotions and feelings. I quite like your images but I'm not sure why and that to me is a measure of your skill as an artist.

Well done!

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, I guess I've operated in a mechanical field all my life which requires me to have a degree of logic in what I see.

Art of course often defies logic and deals more with emotions and feelings. I quite like your images but I'm not sure why and that to me is a measure of your skill as an artist.

Well done!
    "I quite like your images but I'm not sure why and that to me is a measure of your skill as an artist." I could not agree more!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again. Your feedback is very flattering and sincerely appreciated.

N. Riley