• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jerusalem artichoke

FP4 in PMK on Ilford MG Classic with Ansco 103.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NRiley_Jerusalem Artichoke 2010.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	83610

© Norman E. Riley

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Jerusalem artichoke

Interesting arrangement of abstract art Norman. I wonder what you would get if you planted all that?

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

interesting; pity much of the medium qualities are lost when the image is shared online
    will be interesting to see more --- what size camera are you using ?

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. I have some Jerusalem artichokes, also called "sunchokes," growing in the garden right now. The plants are 9 feet tall! These tubers are supposed to be healthier than potatoes, though I'm not exactly sure why people say so. It would be nice if planting the other components yielded a new car or tractor, but I doubt that would occur, no matter how much fertilizer might be applied. In this particular case, I used a 4x5 camera, specifically a Shen Hao HZX with a 180mm Rodenstock Sironar lens, 180mm being a normal lens for this format. The lighting is natural and no filters were needed or used. I shoot both 4x5 and 8x10, but use only the 4x5 for still life because it is easier (i.e., lighter and faster) to move around compared to the 8x10. 4x5 film, of course, is cheaper too. The cost of 8x10 film has moved way beyond ridiculous, but I stay with it for the quality of the silver-gelatin prints that can be obtained from negatives of that size. The largest print I am able to make in my darkroom is 20x24. For the 8x10 negative, a 20x24 print translates to an enlargement of only 6X, so as you can well imagine, the resulting prints are razor sharp and absolutely grain-free. I don't enlarge 4x5 negatives beyond 16x20 (they're still grain-free at that stage), and for this type of still life image, I generally stay at 11x14 because that size feels aesthetically right to me for this sort of image. The film I use, FP4, is a slow one (ASA/ISO 125 which I rate at 80) and therefore one of fine grain to begin with. I believe that what I call "grain" is equivalent to "noise" in digital imaging. Here is another one of my still life that combines scrap metal with something living or derived from a thing that once lived.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NRiley_Egg & Vice 2010.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	83615

© Norman Riley

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice shots and welcome aboard.

I've just ventured back to film in the last few months after not touching it in over 12 years. For me it's an exercise in slowing down. I like the ritual of using shooting film. Having to plan in advance the types of shots you want to get due to being restricted to the film you've chosen etc. I've yet to get the first roll developed so still don't know what I've got if anything.

I still regularly shoot digital as well.

Cheers Nate