Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telephoto lens for safari

Hi all
    I am looking at going on a safari tour to Botswana in June and it's been recommended to have a lens range of 100-400 for the trip.

I am currently shooting with a Canon 80D and have a Canon 70-200 and a wide angle that I'll take as well. Any recommendations for a longer length lens for shooting wildlife.

I did have the Canon 100-400 L that I was using for local sports photography, but preferred the 70-200. I'd love the Canon 100-400 II but it's out of my price range at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Telephoto lens for safari

Quote Originally Posted by emacca View Post
    Hi all
    I am looking at going on a safari tour to Botswana in June and it's been recommended to have a lens range of 100-400 for the trip.

I am currently shooting with a Canon 80D and have a Canon 70-200 and a wide angle that I'll take as well. Any recommendations for a longer length lens for shooting wildlife.

I did have the Canon 100-400 L that I was using for local sports photography, but preferred the 70-200. I'd love the Canon 100-400 II but it's out of my price range at the moment.

Might seem like a stupid suggestion, but for the price of a decent long lens for your Canon 80D you could get a bridge camera with a reach of over 600 mm equivalent. You wouldn't need to take any other lenses as you've got that covered too. Current bridge cameras do an excellent job, particularly in good light (which should be the case in Botswana). That's all I take on my trips away now.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a look into it

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

do yourself a favour -- how about a 600mm F2.8 lens + the body + all the focal lengths down to 25mm F2.8 and all for under $700 !!

Panasonic Lz300 has all that and more in one small easy to carry package

I know each I would rather carry across the world.......

...... and still get photos like this ........

..... which has been cropped from this raw file .

Ask yourself; just how photos will be enlarged to poster size [30 x 20 inch] or larger

I have had a 40 x 20" canvas printed from the older Fz200

At the moment the Fz300 is my only camera and that's after 45+years of holding cameras including medium format film and full frame digital cameras

More Fz300 photos here on Facebook link below --- no; not many photos of charging lions

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ian. I have had a quick look into these and will need to do some more research, but may be handy.

Definitely want the quality to have the option to print larger photos and canvas.

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emacca View Post
    Thanks Ian. I have had a quick look into these and will need to do some more research, but may be handy.

Definitely want the quality to have the option to print larger photos and canvas.

Canvas prints are very forgiving if file quality is a bit lacking
    I have seen 40x30" canvases printed from iPad jpg files ; totally blow me away --- a BIG eye opener!!