Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

raw v jpeg test with Pana fz300

As Panasonic Fz300 is my only camera atm (yeah that's spooky ) I need to get the best from it so I have been doing a bit of non-technical pixel peeping -- to use 600mm raw files or 1200mm fine jpeg files??

I have used raw, and have recommended raw capture for many years; and still do; however it was time to check it out again.
    Specs on each photo -- hope it makes sense . Camera hand held and set to F4.5 which is mid-range for the Fz300 and generally considered the better / sharper aperture

Not much wrong with the (vivid) original jpg; however to my eyes the raw file is better after cropped to match the 1200mm file. Things got south for the jpeg file with the heavier cropping; or if similarly enlarging.

Doesn't mean a lot when out in the paddock/field/garden; however I will be sticking to the old way of using raw capture mostly --- there is just more latitude to fix the wrongs that will always happen. However there is very editing required with good fine jpg files. I have noticed a one stop overexpose raw file can be easily saved where as a jpg file will have blown areas. WB is my biggest worry when jpg is used.

Will post a few other very non technical raw / jpg / close up tests over the next few days .
    The crested pigeon was about 8-10 mtr

Raw file

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: raw v jpeg test with Pana fz300

jpeg file -- your welcome to copy file to your computer to count the pixels

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: raw v jpeg test with Pana fz300

I'm not a pixel counter or a pixel peeper and the difference is not that great until you do some peeping.

Most of my bird shots are with a 42 Mp Sony and you would be amazed at how for you can crop a jpeg with that and still have IQ.