Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

adding a black background

Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    Ian, How do you do the black background on your images? Do you use masks in Photoshop? I love the effect it gives.
    Best to answer here -- as usual it's a bit longer than planned. I need to learn shorthand ---- umm short-type
    First bit is lightroom

As with most photo editing; a black background it best planned when taking the photo. All that is needed is a background darker than the subject --- sunlit flower with a broad area of shadow in the background. Or put up some sort of dark background – could be cardboard material (pillow case,sheet). Watch out for shadows on the background.

If you are me and don't think enough before clicking then you need to use an editing app. Layers are best, however I have done a lot with Lr5 only using the adjustment brush.
    Adjustment brush settings.

I have a preset called blackout. It will be likely take at least two brushes if there are patches of brighter/lighter areas
    TIP: to see if all has been blackout > reduce the global image exposure by a couple of stops > reset global exposure when happy with brush work.

TIP for faster fine brushing >use Alt +hold to set the brush to erase --- can be a different setting to the Brush A.
    TIPs: auto brush > use close to edges and off on broader areas >> “O” will turn the red overlay on / off >> “J” turns clippings on / off.
    All takes some practise to perfect , but it will do the job on many images .
    Remember you might see / notice where you brushed only because you saw it happen

************************************************** ***********************************************

When lr (or you) is not good enough you need to get into layers – I'm using Affinity Photo mostly, but any layer program will do.
    Unfortunately Affinity does not have a smart brush in layers

Generally a good understanding in using selections in your program is required.

I'm not going into selections here as there are countless articles on the WWW.
    The Basics >> Open image >add black fill layer under the image >do the selections >add a layers mask and the black will appear around the subject .

Depending on the subject / finish requires you might need to add some feathering and / or smoothing to the selections
    There are other ways; however that's mostly what I do, however I did get a lot more useful insight yesterday into using the Pen tool for selections which should help make selecting finer detail (not hair and the likes) a bit easier if I can make sense of it --- learning the how is one thing ; remembering the how is another !! There ALWAYS something new to learn or at least try.

The quality of your selections often determines the finished quality of your photo so it's important to understand them

Hope that makes some sense and helps you. Questions welcome (point out typos). Your tips and tricks very welcome

The real trick is practise practise practice; and then practise it all again; or record the subject better in the first place

I didn't like the limb after all

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: adding a black background

Thanks for this explanation. I am going to give it a go next weekend, even if I cannot find ideal images at least I will hopefully learn how to do it.

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

you don't need an ideal image to practise any editing tricks; however the simpler the better

couple of easy ones you are welcome to fiddle with

Click to enlarge > save as .
    There are lots of free online images to download to practise with --- "practise of the easier subjects so harder subjects are easier"

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since everything is pixel based, because of the raster imagery. Looks the portions here are different. So these are the way took the main object by removing its background to transparent, first. Then added the black background.

A clipping path technique. https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-clip...khtiar-Uddin-1

clipping-path.jpg

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jannatul18 View Post
    Since everything is pixel based, because of the raster imagery. Looks the portions here are different. So these are the way took the main object by removing its background to transparent, first. Then added the black background.

A clipping path technique. https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-clip...khtiar-Uddin-1
    Thanks for the input and the link (great link inside them too). There is no doubt the pen tool is #1 for doing perfect selections, and the most fiddly. I keep telling myself to practise with pen tool more but I seem to get side tracked --- smart brushes make it easy these day

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This link is for Affinity Photo but will be similar in Ps

We need to remember the pen tool is one of the earlier selections tools and has now been overshadowed somewhat by more modern smart tools. However there are times smart tools are not as smart as we are lead to believe and this when the pen tool can be handy.