• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When to use Photoshop or Lightroom

I have been trying to improve my editing skills by watching tutorial videos, then trying the techniques myself. Most of the time I find myself using Photoshop and not Lightroom. I was wondering from peoples experience what editing tools are better in Lightroom than Photoshop? To me Lightroom is more for storing and arranging my images.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: When to use Photoshop or Lightroom

I won't claim to be an expert in either as I just use them to do what I need/want to do. I don't use any of the storing and arranging functions of Lightroom as I'm happy to just use the Windows system for that. However, I usually do my initial selection and basic adjustments like straightening, cropping, highlights and shadows in Lightroom then take the file into Photoshop for sharpening and any layer and mask processing, adding text or cloning.

It just works for me that way and doesn't get too complicated.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I never use Photoshop. I find it to be confusing and unnecessarily complicated. I've watched a few tutorials on how to do a few things with it but get lost in all the possibilities. I find Lightroom to be very intuitive, straight forward, user friendly and more then powerful enough a tool to get anything I want from a photo but that is just my experience.

I have always wanted to know how to use Photoshop and get the best out of it but can't find the motivation to actually put in the effort to learn how to use it while Lightroom does almost everything I could ask for.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As above

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lightroom should be used for your first edits--- the basic stuff and even some / most advanced editing. Lr really is quite a powerful editing program and can handle far more than many use it for. I have the older version 5; however the newer versions are far more advanced

Lr is far faster than Ps

Photoshop is really only needed for very advanced edited -- layers/blending image together and so on

Your best friend in Lr is the adjustment brush -- get to know that one tool and all it can do for you.

Honestly; I would be lost without my old Lr5

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that some Photoshop tutorials are too complicated. I found that this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6bOMEt1ZTU gave me a few simple ways to adjust images and better understand layers/masks. I made myself a simple cheat sheet based on this video.

I have also been surprised how use the Colour Adjustment Layer option in Photoshop can improve an image by adjusting individual colours. This is also easy to do.

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

this lady knows her stuff --- I picked up a lot of lr tricks from her

"I have also been surprised how use the Colour Adjustment Layer option in Photoshop can improve an image by adjusting individual colours. This is also easy to do."

Can also be done in lr >HSL Color Black and white panel . Lr Color channels are the magic words for B+W editing

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do the Creative Cloud thing for LR (subscription ) so Photoshop is effectively a free add on bundle.
    Lightroom is always my editing front end but very occasionally during the process I'll send some editing out to Photoshop mainly for content aware removal of a difficult to remove distraction.

I used to play with focus stacking also (but got out of the habit) another non LR feature, but panorama stitching is now a LR feature so I no longer use the photoshop version.

The times I have tried other Photoshop features it has not been too difficult with a good video tutorial, but I don't do it enough to retain all the steps required.
    It would be nice if lightroom can detect an install off Photoshop as well that it added popular features to LR in the form of an automated macro so that it appears that the feature is being done in LR but all the steps are happening in the back ground on Photoshop so all you see is the final result in LR.

This would maintain LR's best feature it's simple, quick, intuitive work flow but at the same time add powerful features without bloating out its resource usage when not using these features in LR by not having to integrate a double up of Photoshop processes into Lightroom when they already exist on your computer in the form of Photoshop itself.
    To better explain that, it is the same as using the "edit in Photoshop" from Lightroom and even though you effectively are editing in Photoshop it does not just dump you in the Photoshop environment but instead stays with LR only showing you the steps you need to do the process you want and not involving you in layers and masking since the final result will always be saved back to LR without layers.
    Cheers Doug