• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Exposure question

Looking for some advice about Long Exposure shots. I want to take a long exposure shot at Standley Chasm to avoid getting people in the shot. I have a 10 stop filter (Formatt Hitech Firecrest) but I am not sure how long the exposure would need to be to ensure no people (or ghosts) appear in the image. I am hoping I can get the exposure to 4-5 minutes which I hope will be enough. Does anyone have any tips or experience with Long Exposures? Hoping 10 stop is enough.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Long Exposure question

Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    Looking for some advice about Long Exposure shots. I want to take a long exposure shot at Standley Chasm to avoid getting people in the shot. I have a 10 stop filter (Formatt Hitech Firecrest) but I am not sure how long the exposure would need to be to ensure no people (or ghosts) appear in the image. I am hoping I can get the exposure to 4-5 minutes which I hope will be enough. Does anyone have any tips or experience with Long Exposures? Hoping 10 stop is enough.
    It's going to depend on whether the people are moving or not! 4 to 5 minutes seems a long time to me in daylight. I suggest you do a few practice runs at home before you leave.

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

better way could be to take a set of photos using a good tripod as people move around --- In some programs (??) you just stack the files and let the app do its thing

Or; you layer all files in most layer based apps > add layer masks to all > mask out each person who should be in a different spot in each file > work from the top down . just the landscape should be visible as you mask people out

You might need to move files up or down or even delete some.

In the end you will have the landscape only in all layers which are then flattened

You could also do to opposite as one person moves through the landscape so they appear in a different spot each time > fade them out at the end for the more spooky ghost like image

How many files needed for your original idea ? That will depend a lot on how many people are there just to annoy you . 10 20 30 (??). Just a couple of peeps would need a lot less files .

Photos at Standley Chasm really depend on the light and direction of light at the time . Over 30 years since I was there (yeah; getting old ) so i cannot help with that. Most tourists tend not to get out real early ; but may stay later in the evening

Hope that helps you get that different photo --- remember people can add scale to the scene

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the ideas, I had not thought of stacking. I was also considering using Content Aware in Photoshop, it can work really well sometimes.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something I've found with the best shots of Standley Chasm is that they tend to be shot at high noon when the sun is directly over head and both sides of the chasm are lit up. Be sure to check the sun position and time of high noon on the given day if you are gong to try this though as it is noon not midday you want the time that is half way between sunrise and sunset. Unfortunately for a long exposure shot as you are considering it also means the most light thus harder to get the really long exposure. If you are doing in the summer months you will have a little more luck getting a shot without people as it tends to be to bloody hot!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am hoping to get the shots around midday. We will be in Alice Springs for 3 days from the 30th of July before heading out to the West McDonnell ranges staying at Glen Helen Gorge. I am currently thinking it may be easier to do Simpsons Gap & Standley Chasm during our stay in Alice, then we can go straight to Ellery Big Hole on the day we leave Alice and hopefully be in front of the tour buses.

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nate would certainly know the area better; however I would think people might be a real drama around at midday/noon in July .
    Content aware would be Ok for a couple of people in the distance but things might get a bit blotchy with more.

You certainly know how to drive a camera and pick a good camera angle .

However some general thoughts to those following --- I can see the typical I'm hoping to get a similar photo as the paid tourist/professional photographers who might have been there often and likely have more or even full control over people and times. Some are just lucky to be at the right place at the right time for that something special.

The general sheep follow sheep tourist with their family members getting in the way can always get lucky too if they are prepared to look past the obvious normal photos . Inside every big landscape photo are 100s if not 1000s of subjects that many might see but not notice as a photographic subject, or part of a collage that will tell more of a story than the one big pic on the wall. I have learnt not to take too much notice of the advertising brochure photos they seldom show it as it really is (and I have done a few ).

What I'm trying say is go in with an open mind . Tourist don't have a lot of control over the other bloody ignorant tourists, times, sun direction, all the weather factors, sunrise or sunset. However that special "I was there" photo or photos are always there for those with trained eyes.

Looking forward to seeing your McDonald range photos stricky