User Tag List

• Display
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I mad? Considering buying a film camera again?

Hi all,

Just a general question....

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a used film camera.

I always liked shooting film back in the day but it has been a long time.

Is it crazy with all the convenience of digital these days to even think of about shooting film as a little side thing as I'd still shoot digital as well?

I'd like to think it will focus my intent for each shot and the process/exercise will improve my photography in general.

Please, I'm open to any and all opinions and guidance on this one, no matter what you might think.

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Am I mad? Considering buying a film camera again?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Patterson View Post
    Hi all,

Just a general question....

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a used film camera.

I always liked shooting film back in the day but it has been a long time.

Is it crazy with all the convenience of digital these days to even think of about shooting film as a little side thing as I'd still shoot digital as well?

I'd like to think it will focus my intent for each shot and the process/exercise will improve my photography in general.

Please, I'm open to any and all opinions and guidance on this one, no matter what you might think.

Cheers Nate
    I’ve still got most of my 35 mm film gear including Olympus OM 1 plus lenses and Nikonas 5. All racked up as a museum display on a window pelmit. To be honest I couldn’t be bothered putting any of them back into service although I do have an adapter for the lenses to fit my full frame Sony digitals.
    All the same things apply with digital as it did with film when it comes to composition, focus and exposure. The big difference is that now we have almost instant feedback on the result of the shot. I can’t see any good reason for doing it in film and waiting perhaps 24 hours to find out whether or not you got it right. I did that for many years, in most cases of shots which were unrepeatable underwater photographs. Good luck with it if you decide to go that way, but there is so much more you can do now which was unavailable back then. I suspect you might be disappointed. Cheers.

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

would certainly be a challenge going the super high instant quality of digital . Having been there done that; I have no intentions of dusting off any of my left over film cameras. Although digital is more complicated, it has made photography so easy and mirrorless has made it even easier.
    Being able to see the subject as an exposed file before even taking the photo would just be a drunken dream not too many years ago .

That said; working film cameras are cheap enough to experiment with. I would suggest getting a better fully manual camera (thinking Nikon Fm2) and just one or 2 fixed lenses . Pentax K1000 was a popular ?manual? camera

But no cheating like using the digital camera as a light metre . You might be amazed how well the sunny 16 rule works with film. In later years I most used a hand held L/metre .

Many so called "experts" of today would have never made it with film

Remember print film is opposite to digital --- slight over exposing is better under exposing

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks gents.

I've been looking at a few Canon models for a while now that suit my current crop of lenses without converters. They do have a lot of auto functions but as I almost exclusively shoot in manual mode in digital, excluding focus, I manually focus all landscape shots but wildlife almost always auto focus, I'd continue that practice with film. Part of my desire to shoot film is to take advantage of where I live at the moment. I like the idea of a some shots of my time here shot on film when I move away.

Cheers

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have 2 Canon EOS 300's if you are interested. I think all they need is a battery. If you are interested I'll see if I can get a battery.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks gents.

I've been looking at a few Canon models for a while now that suit my current crop of lenses without converters. They do have a lot of auto functions but as I almost exclusively shoot in manual mode in digital, excluding focus, I manually focus all landscape shots but wildlife almost always auto focus, I'd continue that practice with film. Part of my desire to shoot film is to take advantage of where I live at the moment. I like the idea of a some shots of my time here shot on film when I move away.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    I still have 2 Canon EOS 300's if you are interested. I think all they need is a battery. If you are interested I'll see if I can get a battery.
    you two need to get together about the Standley Chasm photo idea -- maybe a camera will pay the guide fees

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a good idea, the camera is in very good condition still has a 28-80mm lens on it.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, the camera is in very good condition still has a 28-80mm lens on it.
    I'll certainly bare your offer in mind.

I'm eyeing off a few different eos 3 models at the moment, I'm intrigued by the eye control focus. By all reports it worked a treat but for some reason has never been used in a Canon digital camera but Sony has tried to create a version put in one or two of their models I believe .

But definitely get in touch when you are nearer the rock or let me know when know you'll be out here, if I'm town would be happy to catch up and offer any local knowledge I can.

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll certainly bare your offer in mind.

I'm eyeing off a few different eos 3 models at the moment, I'm intrigued by the eye control focus. By all reports it worked a treat but for some reason has never been used in a Canon digital camera but Sony has tried to create a version put in one or two of their models I believe .

But definitely get in touch when you are nearer the rock or let me know when know you'll be out here, if I'm town would be happy to catch up and offer any local knowledge I can.

Cheers Nate
    Thanks Nate, We will be in Yulara 3rd to 5th of August. I would appreciate any local knowledge.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

cannot beat local knowledge when time is short