Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for lens upgrade

Hello everyone!
    New to the forum iím currently looking at upgrading my lenses as want some more range. I have the nikon d7000 (very pleased with it) and the following lenses: tokina 11-16 f2.8, nikkor 35mm f1.8, nikkor 18-105mm and the 80-400mm (old model) which I only take with me when I shoot wildlife. I recently went on holiday and I just missed some extra length with my 18-105 lens. After doing some research I have my mind somewhat set on the nikkor 16-80mm f2.8-4 lens and combine it with the 70-300mm. Just wondering if the better option would be the 18-300mm one or if it would compromise too much on sharpness and quality. I have a big roadtrip coming up through the Canadian Rockies and want to get a great set up. Any help/ recommendations woukd be greatly appreciated.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Advice for lens upgrade

really depends on the image quality you have in mind. super zooms tent to be less sharp at the extremes of each end, but not to say they are not worth having. worth checking out some reviews of each lens, take into considerations of the strong and weak points. and remember, the best lens you have is the ones you take with you. is it worth the convenience of not changing lenses over IQ? I remember my first O/S trip to the US and taking (at the time I was fairly new to photography and didn't have much gear) an 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm prime. I took the prime because of IQ, and a wider aperture, but it spent the duration of my trip in my bag, because I couldnt be bothered changing out the lens when I was hitting the 50mm end of the kit lens.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Chris,
    I donít mind changing lenses. Took all the gear to sri Lanka last year and used all of them. Just found that the 18-105 was lacking in range for me. was just hoping to find out if the 2 seperate lenses would be superior and worth buying over just the 18-300 one as I do find IQ very important. Just haev no experience with either of the 3 lenses and found good reviews about all of them.
    Sarah

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Canon shooter, so I've not had hands on experience with them. have you checked out this review? https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nik...0mm-3p5-5p6-vr

I tend to go over the faults section on their reviews, usually spot on. I'd personally go the 2 lenses over the one, budget allowing, but that's my preference.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am leaning towards the 2 lens option as well, just having a look now to see if there is maybe a sigma alternative to save some money without losing quality. They have a 17-50mm f2.8 lens that seems promising, just need to pair it with a good zoom then.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also check the second hand market. usually most people look after their gear well, and lenses tend not to fail often. tamaron and sigma both make affordable 70-200 f2.8 lenses

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris788 View Post
    also check the second hand market. usually most people look after their gear well, and lenses tend not to fail often. tamaron and sigma both make affordable 70-200 f2.8 lenses
    that length at f2.8, start getting pretty weighty......
    nikon abuser

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or f4.0

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a Canon shooter I can't offer anything first hand on any of the Nikon offerings but if I was in your situation, I'd go with my current 18-105 (if you are happy with the results if gives you) and even considering the weight and assuming the Nikon equivalent is as good I'd be looking at a used 70-200 f2.8 stabilised model. Coupled with a 1.4 or if you want even more reach 2X extender you get a few options and still high image quality with a bit of added versatility/flexibility. The Canon 70-200 f2.8 is II is an incredible lens and there are plenty around used in great shape and with a 1.4 extender you are still only at f4 at near 300mm.

Just a thought.

Cheers Nate

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

most the comments above is why I have renewed my love affair with Pana Fz300. Certainly not everyone's perfect camera; however once they stop pixel peeping the camera often does more than they really need in the real world.
    Sadly it is traveling to the camera doctor atm; as is one of the Oly omd 1 --- going to be an expensive start to 2019 . . .