User Tag List

• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mirrorless camera + lense for NZ trip (sub $1500 - new or used)

Hi all,
    New to photography and interchangeable lens cameras.
    As stated in the title - I have an upcoming trip to New Zealand and want something better than an iPhone to take some landscape shots.
    I am keen to get into photography and want something that gives me some room to grow.

Currently looking at:
    Fuji XT20 or XT-2
    Sony A7 or A6000/6300/6500

Open to suggestions & advice on both camera & lenses.

Regards.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mirrorless camera + lense for NZ trip (sub $1500 - new or used)

Quote Originally Posted by S.Zelinski View Post
    Hi all,
    New to photography and interchangeable lens cameras.
    As stated in the title - I have an upcoming trip to New Zealand and want something better than an iPhone to take some landscape shots.
    I am keen to get into photography and want something that gives me some room to grow.

Currently looking at:
    Fuji XT20 or XT-2
    Sony A7 or A6000/6300/6500

Open to suggestions & advice on both camera & lenses.

Regards.
    I have experience with Sony A6000 and A7 series and would advise you to go with the A6000. There is a better range of cheaper lenses available and the image quality from the camera is very good. As a first step into mirrorless it’s a great little travel camera.

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

welcome to the forum --- depending on how long before you are going; I'm not sure a new camera will do as you are wishing for.
    Photography has a bit to do with the camera; but photography is more about the person holding the camera.
    The iPhone is one of the better travel cameras today -- a friend as 40x30 inch canvases taken with an iPad!! From NZ too.

Holidays are not really the place to start learning photography; and a new camera
    There are no bad cameras today; however some are better than others

I have no experience with Fuji or sony; however the Olympus cameras (I have EmD1) are the best cameras I have used -- that's around 45-50 years!! I would even sell you one of mine

Most of the recent photos in this thread were taken with Panasonic fx300; the most versatile camera I have used. However; any camera is only as good as the operator . I'm still improving! I will posting more over the next days

Most of the above is written with so many in mind who asked the same/similar questions and later regretted taking too much camera gear or gear they were not familiar with. Often, most photos were taken with the phone

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both for your replies!
    I have gone ahead and bought a camera - I picked up a Panasonic Lumix GX85 for a great price in a Boxing Day sale.

Ian - I understand what you are saying, and you make a good point. I am keen however to learn more about photography and taking some more shots, and I think getting a camera and starting is the only way to do that!

Closei - thanks for your advice on the Sonys. I looked closely at an a6000 but think I got more for my money with the Lumix.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.Zelinski View Post
    Thank you both for your replies!
    I have gone ahead and bought a camera - I picked up a Panasonic Lumix GX85 for a great price in a Boxing Day sale.

Ian - I understand what you are saying, and you make a good point. I am keen however to learn more about photography and taking some more shots, and I think getting a camera and starting is the only way to do that!

Closei - thanks for your advice on the Sonys. I looked closely at an a6000 but think I got more for my money with the Lumix.
    No worries, it should be good.

Both of the Panasonic s I own are fine for how I use them.
    Cheers.