User Tag List

• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Is Better Than The Canon SX430 For Controls?

I'd be satisfied with a cheap digital camera. I am happy with my Powershot 520 but something a bit better would be good.

Had a Fujifilm Finepix 250 which took better pics than the Canon, higher resolution, and took longer videos than the Canon's 3 minute max - but it wasn't as well made, as rugged as the Canon and it died.

Whereas the Canon is still alive.

So that Australia Post Canon SX430 looked about right to me - at $300 about the top end of what I'd like to spend on a camera - but it turns out to have virtually no controls at all. And no view finder. I find that view finder thing very important sometimes.

So I wonder, can some knowledgeable person tell me about a camera like the SX430 but just that much better: a few controls and maybe a viewfinder?

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: What Is Better Than The Canon SX430 For Controls?

"a few controls and maybe a viewfinder?"
    That added the dollars

The camera you are thinking about does not exist unless it's used . better to get better used one than a new cheapie
    You likely have a great camera already in your phone --- they can be better than most "cheaper" cameras

The camera I use the most is the very versatile Panasonic Fz300. Sadly it's around $500 above your $$; however there are used ones around

Generally there are no bad cameras made today; but some are better than others.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with Ian. I have a Canon 750D with an assortment of lenses, however my FZ-200 is a more enjoyable camera to use. I've been thinking about going up to the FZ-300.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian75 View Post
    I've been thinking about going up to the FZ-300.
    One would think a fz400 wouldn't be too far away

The fz300 is sooooo much better than the fz200 when it comes to handling --- file/image quality is around the same . The magic number is F4 for the best quality . F5+ (or -) is the no go place. Manual or manual assist with focus peaking is often better than Af .
    Exposures need to be as far left as possible on the live viewfinder histogram [DSLR user's don't have that luxury ] . The camera is set to show slightly more clipping in the viewfinder than there actually is and when using raw there is even a little more latitude. I often use 3 file exposure bracketing to get the best exposure or to blend a couple of files together, however I generally use just the one file. Bracketing is likely more important when using Jpeg capture. Jpeg off the card can be amazing if a little attention is paid to white balance and exposure -- when in doubt full program works well . Very minimal editing is required for most users.

When using a "sub camera" it can be the little things like above that make all the different . Very easy to become lazy; or very lazy as I did, when using the pana Fz cameras . I haven't used the Oly camera for quite awhile and the better I get to know/understand the Fz300 the better it is for me and my sort of photos . Won't post it here; however I know a good Fb page if you ask via PM. Learnt a lot of finer points there . Graham Norton has good videos

Yet; pretty sure the Fz300 will become my one and only camera in 2019 --- the best thing is never needing to change lenses and the 2nd best is apart from three filters I don't carry a bag of around. Polarizing filter is #1; good quality 2 lens close up filter (canon D250 and a variable Nd are also handy at times

Now about that Canon G5x (??); still .................................................

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

and I should use the tripod more! Not just for steadiness -- I find I take less photos but far better photos when the tripod is used .

That could be the new years resolution IF I didn't make a "no more new year resolutions" resolution years ago . I stick to mine!!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been Googling FZ400 for the past week looking for any hints of it. I saw the FZ300 on the facebook marketplace for about $200, stupid me didn't jump on it.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a FZ300 as a general purpose camera in my collection. It's not the camera I use the most, but it's great for a grab and go and it's probably the best camera I have for macro work. I'll probably keep it.