• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much change is too much?

While I like the image I took at Pulpit Rock near Cape Schanck in Victoria, the sky was very disappointing that morning. While I could add an entirely different sunrise to make it look more dramatic I sometimes still feel like it is cheating and I should only enhance what nature provided that day and not totally change it. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

PULpit 900.jpg

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How much change is too much?

Got to agree although I may have fiddled with a few in the past. What I don't find acceptable is to create sunsets and rainbows pretending that they are natural. It takes away the special nature of the real thing.

I like your subject in this shot but I do think you should straighten the horizon as I'm pretty sure the sea wasn't tilted on that day. The sky is fine and you could probably saturate that a bit if you wanted to lift the shot and brighten it somewhat.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice - agree that the horizon is a bit skewed - there will always be another sunrise to capture!

Lost. Using Lr5/Affinity Photo/Pana Fz300
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ya missed that one. I could have a go at editing if you wish just see what is there

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Ya missed that one. I could have a go at editing if you wish just see what is there
    Feel free to have a go. I am only average at editing, but practice makes perfect they say.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my little enhancement.. nothing added that wasn't there!

Apart from the text and frame that is!

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

always give black and white a try when you have a really photo (sorry) that really means more to you than a photo .
    cropping will also often improve an image
    best not to sharpen a noisy files and go easy on noise reduction
    When to weather is not going to be kind and supply the light you need for your dream photo then look for something different -- in my case that would be the water running off the rocks

Mostly done in meold faithful Lr5 with the adjustment brush -- as I often say; dodge and burn is often all you need to know
    Not meant to be perfect and just ideas to try now or next time

Not sure I like that sky (??) .

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Closei & Ian, makes me realise I need to improve my editing skills. I really like the changes and appreciate your help.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    Thanks Closei & Ian, makes me realise I need to improve my editing skills. I really like the changes and appreciate your help.
    Good editing starts as the subject passes through the first glass on the lens --- as the saying goes in out so therefore; too many rely too much on editing tricks just to make the image "acceptable"
    You don't really want to know how much time I spent to get the file to the final result; a result that has surprised me.

As mentioned above; slow dodge and burn is still one of the better editing tools after the basics .

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you documenting a place or thing for a museum or the like, why is there even a question about too much?

It's your image and you should be free to make of it whatever you want it to be.

Even the great Frank Hurley 'augmented reality' as an official war photographer.

As long as you aren't claiming it to be a faithful reproduction of reality, then it it is up to the artist to portray their vision, in whatever form that takes.
    Pillage, Plunder THEN Burn...

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitz View Post
    Unless you documenting a place or thing for a museum or the like, why is there even a question about too much?

It's your image and you should be free to make of it whatever you want it to be.

Even the great Frank Hurley 'augmented reality' as an official war photographer.

As long as you aren't claiming it to be a faithful reproduction of reality, then it it is up to the artist to portray their vision, in whatever form that takes.
    good words

those who think every photo should be "as it was" are missing a great deal in modern photography . That's not to say every film recorded photo is a prefect "as it was" photo.