• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling at Flea Markets.

I'm not really a photographer. I have heard of the rule of thirds, but don't know that I've ever obeyed it, or anything related to photography.

My camera used to be a manual, curtain driven Zenit. When film died the only equivalent camera to replace it was the 5D. I look on my Canon as just another Zenit, and it's manual, just like the Zenit.

In any case, I have collected together my 20+ best shots. I would like to print these at 500mm wide. This cost $40.00. Framing costs another $100. Maybe I hope to sell at flea-markets for $200.

I'm not trying to sell great photos, but more images in tonal colours that will match, or complement, the decor and furnishings of the household. Just like when you go to Ikea and they have all those framed artworks by nobody-at-all for sale for around $100-$300 .. and the reason the house-prouders buy them is cuz they match their lounge chairs and TV cabinets and curtains.

That's the market I'm aiming for to make a few bucks on the weekends.

So ..... What I need, before I do a print run .. is for some photographers here who really know what they're talking about to tear my images to bits ... before I print them, please. All help appreciated.

All images will be printed at 500mm wide

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Selling at Flea Markets.

Group 1. Aboriginal Totems

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AboriginalTotems.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	82871

Name:	AboriginalTotemsB.jpg 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	82872

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Group 2. Abandoned Courthouse Milparinka

Name:	CourtHouseMilparinkaClose.jpg 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	82873

Name:	CourtHouseMilparinkaBW.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	82874

Name:	CourtHouseMilparinka.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	82875

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Group 3. Wind Sculptures

Name:	SculptureA.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	82876

Name:	SculptureB.jpg 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	82877

Name:	SculptureC.jpg 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	82878

Name:	SculptureD.jpg 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	82879

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed that as I reduce each image to 2000 pixels wide to fit on this forum, that the colour has altered a bit. A slight greenish tinge to the blue, a slight darkness. This is not apparent in the full-sized images.

I'll see if I get any response to these first handful before posting more.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadwerx View Post
    I'm not really a photographer. I have heard of the rule of thirds, but don't know that I've ever obeyed it, or anything related to photography.

My camera used to be a manual, curtain driven Zenit. When film died the only equivalent camera to replace it was the 5D. I look on my Canon as just another Zenit, and it's manual, just like the Zenit.

In any case, I have collected together my 20+ best shots. I would like to print these at 500mm wide. This cost $40.00. Framing costs another $100. Maybe I hope to sell at flea-markets for $200.

I'm not trying to sell great photos, but more images in tonal colours that will match, or complement, the decor and furnishings of the household. Just like when you go to Ikea and they have all those framed artworks by nobody-at-all for sale for around 4100-$300 .. and the reason the house-prouders buy them is cuz they match their lounge chairs and TV cabinets.

That's the market I'm aiming for.

So ..... What I need, before I do a print run .. is for some photographers here who really know what they're talking about to tear my images to bits ... before I print them, please. All help appreciated.

All images will be printed at 500mm wide
    Mate, if you take photos and enjoy it, you are a photographer and the theory doesn't matter.

I also started with manual cameras (estimated distance for focus as well), but certainly don't claim to be an expert in anything. However I do have a passion for what I do and know what I like almost the instant I see it.

I won't tear your, or any-one else's work apart but I might suggest how I would have done it differently or suggest an adjustment or two which in my eyes could improve the look of the image.

That doesn't mean it's right, or the only way to go as assessing an image is in the viewers eyes and who knows what other people will like?

I like what I've seen of your work so far and the only point I've made, and still see, is that the darker parts of the images could benefit from a lift in light levels as they appear a bit dark to me and lose some detail. This is one of the issues working mainly with very wide angle lenses. You get lens distortion and it's difficult to balance the exposure throughout the image. HDR might help but it could mostly be corrected in post processing.

However if that's the look you're after well, that's what you have.

Good luck with it!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    I won't tear your, or any-one else's work apart but I might suggest how I would have done it differently or suggest an adjustment or two which in my eyes could improve the look of the image.
    This is fine. Any suggestions at all are fine.

I will lighten shadows before print, as I have noticed (I have an iMac) that printers and Intel machines print and display darker than apple. Not sure what HDR is?

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadwerx View Post
    This is fine. Any suggestions at all are fine.

I will lighten shadows before print, as I have noticed (I have an iMac) that printers and Intel machines print and display darker than apple. Not sure what HDR is?
    HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and it's used to balance exposure when there is quite a difference between the light and dark areas and you want to still retain the detail. Many cameras have the facility built in where they take three quick shots of the scene at different exposure settings then blend them together into one image.

The alternative is for you to take three shots of the same frame on different settings, then blend them together in post processing. It doesn't work well on moving subjects or unsteady photographers.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and it's used to balance exposure when there is quite a difference between the light and dark areas and you want to still retain the detail. Many cameras have the facility built in where they take three quick shots of the scene at different exposure settings then blend them together into one image.

The alternative is for you to take three shots of the same frame on different settings, then blend them together in post processing. It doesn't work well on moving subjects or unsteady photographers.
    Hmmmmmmmm .... Not sure if that's me?

I usually shoot two-stops darker ... then lighten later. I will have a play.