Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to forum

Hi,

New to forum looking for tips and improvements. I am particularly interested in Landscapes & Astrophotography. Already booked next year's trip through western Qld to Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru, Coober Pedy and back to Brisbane via Innaminka.

Cheers

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New to forum

Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    Hi,

New to forum looking for tips and improvements. I am particularly interested in Landscapes & Astrophotography. Already booked next year's trip through western Qld to Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru, Coober Pedy and back to Brisbane via Innaminka.

Cheers
    Lucky bugger! Looking forward to seeing your shots.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, looking forward to it. Did a trip last year out to Birdsville then up the Hay river track and back to Brisbane via Longreach. Loved it so going a bit further this time.

Here is a couple of pics.
    IMG_6090.jpg 20170728Birdsville1.jpg
    IMG_5556.jpg IMG_5684.jpg

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a batch of nice shots.

Looking at your itinerary and the camping shot, I assume you'll take the Mereenie loop between Alice and Watarrka (Kings Canyon)? If not and you have the time can I suggest Rainbow Valley for a night while you're in the Red Centre. It's not far out of the way only 22 km off the highway about 80km south of Alice. If you had more time (another 2 nights) and are set up for for it (it's a bit out of the way and the road can be rough at times) Chambers Pillar is a great drive and cracking place for a night or 2 as well.

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I am going to do the Mereenie loop. We are spending a few days in Alice, then West McDonnell Ranges (staying at Glen Helen), then Kings Canyon and then Uluru. I wanted to do Chambers Pillar by crossing the Simpson Desert via Rig Rd and then up from Mt Dare but the other people I am travelling with did not want to go that way. That will probably be our 2021 trip which will also include Flinders Ranges. Rainbow Valley late afternoon and staying for a while after dark is currently part of the plan but I would need to drive back to Alice for the night. Not sure how much wildlife would be on the roads at night.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    Yes, I am going to do the Mereenie loop. We are spending a few days in Alice, then West McDonnell Ranges (staying at Glen Helen), then Kings Canyon and then Uluru. I wanted to do Chambers Pillar by crossing the Simpson Desert via Rig Rd and then up from Mt Dare but the other people I am travelling with did not want to go that way. That will probably be our 2021 trip which will also include Flinders Ranges. Rainbow Valley late afternoon and staying for a while after dark is currently part of the plan but I would need to drive back to Alice for the night. Not sure how much wildlife would be on the roads at night.
    Sounds super, You'll love it. It really is an amazing place to explore out here!

As for driving back to Alice at night from Rainbow Valley, anywhere you travel in The Red Centre after dark comes at a decent risk. There are regular cattle strikes on the road to Yulara. I'd check you car insurance for one thing as you will probably find in the fine print that you will have NO cover of any kind while driving at night on NT roads anywhere outside a major centre such as Alice. Even Territory residents don't have cover driving at night outside of towns you just can't get it. The roads here are not fenced, not even around the cattle stations. The major roads like the Lasseter Hwy (the main Hwy to Uluru) is completely unfenced and there is roaming cattle everywhere, particularly around places like Curtin Springs. The cattle are regulary seen up to and beyond 70km either side of the station. The cattle comes out of no where wondering onto the road and this doesn't take into account the camels that are everywhere.

It's only 100km from Rainbow Valley back the Alice (22 km of dirt) the rest is sealed road but there is still the risk of wildlife, but small tour groups do it regularly. If you are camping the facilities at Rainbow Valley are good, no showers but fresh, clean and tidy long drops and good BBQs.

The run out to Mt Dare, Dalhousie Springs, Eringa and onto Oodnadatta and beyond to Coober Pedy is a good drive with plenty to see just the things are a long way apart

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum.