• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Converting raw files to DNG

I need to convert my Panasonic Fz300 raw files to dng as Lr5 cannot be read the Pana raw file. By mistake; I learnt I could converter the raw files off the card. ( yeah yeah --- slow on the up-take

For those interested . I have the Adobe dng converter [free] set to do the same thing each time > from same folder (card) > to same folder (NewPics)

The converter will remember and do the same as last used.

Once converted the dng files are imported [add] into lr5. This has removed going through On1 first

If you want to rename all files; that can also be done with the dng converter also; however I delete the rubbish (heavily) in Lr5 before renaming only the better files. Like On1; I feel the dng converter renaming would be easier than Lr5 – newer versions might be different but I'm not going there ---if my Lr5 disappears I would likely use On1 and affinity

I don't take much notice of the ''against'' dng argument – used to convert all files, however by not converting the Oly files I can quickly see if it's a pana or oly file .

Happy to hear your pros and cons thoughts, and questions welcome

Cheers; happy hunting

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Converting raw files to DNG

I do similar on the rare occasions when I'm using RAW on the Panasonic. I still mainly work with the Jpegs.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    ..... I still mainly work with the Jpegs. ....
    Greg, Ian, or anyone else?

I was told by a Graphics Designer that every time that you open and work on a Jpeg you will lose some infomation from the file.
    Tell me ... what's your veiw/experience on this one?

Is he right, or is he just guessing here?
    Graphic Designers say they always use Tiff, apparently for this reason.

My veiw is some one on a Photography Forum (who are using photos all the time) would have more experience on this matter?

Cheers,
    Les

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leicester View Post
    Greg, Ian, or anyone else?

I was told by a Graphics Designer that every time that you open and work on a Jpeg you will lose some infomation from the file.
    Tell me ... what's your veiw/experience on this one?

Is he right, or is he just guessing here?
    Graphic Designers say they always use Tiff, apparently for this reason.

My veiw is some one on a Photography Forum (who are using photos all the time) would have more experience on this matter?

Cheers,
    Les
    Hi Les, I don't claim to be an expert on anything and the graphics designer is probably right in that info would be lost when editing a jpeg. However info is lost when editing RAW then converting to jpeg too. I just let the camera do the initial adjustments instead of dealing with the much bigger files myself. (You pay for the camera features so you might as well take advantage of them). I've found the modern cameras I have give more than enough latitude with 'in camera' settings to give the output I'm looking for and room for further editing should I require it. You don't lose anything from the original if you rename the edited file different to the original.

If I was a graphic designer and relying on my photography for an income, I would probably do the same as him.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

it is true; but no where the problem as in the early days of digital. We ran a test on this forum where a jpg file was opened and closed 10 times . The last couple showed some lost of detail however the average person would likely not notice, and many would not see it if there was not an original file for comparison .

Apparently most data is lost in the larger areas of similar tone/colour --- like the sky

Much of this "shouldn't do that" goes back to the early days of digital --- the system has progress greatly to a point now where 40 x 30 inch canvas can be printed from an iPad or tablet . I have seen two from NZ. Blow me away!!

And most of this "shouldn't do that" comes from the pixel counters with all the gear and no idea how to use it, and some pros get a bit carried away with the "quality" stuff.

The little Pana and I (more ''I'' lol) have been on a ''get to know ya better'' journey lately. When I get the composition, light, and exposure right; pixels and MBs don't really matter that much. I still use RAW files; likely will forever, although many of those are deleted once I have an acceptable Jpeg files of my not so important subjects

However; the old rule (should be a law) of never editing the original jpeg file is still solid and should never be bent

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally always keep the RAW files. Partially because it contains the data and if a new editor comes along or I decide I want to change the JPEG.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

you must be a 1/2 a young fella ; and therefore more likely you will go back and re-edit files . I cannot keep up with new stuff !!

IMO; once a raw file has been converted to an acceptable jpg/tiff/psd the raw data likely needed will have been saved to the new file. (??)

It's not very often I go back and re-edit an old file as I would rather capture new photo files that I hope are of better photography than the older files. There are so many older "what was I thinking" files on my many forgotten discs and in a few years I would hope that many of my today's "great" photos will be moved to the "what was I thinking" pile because I'm making even better photos because of better photography.

If our photography is not always improving, and evolving, then maybe it's time to find another hobby or interests .

"It's not very often I go back and re-edit an old file" -- however I will delete more of the rubbish I couldn't see a few years earlier.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies fellows.