User Tag List

• Display
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colour re-touched or early colour film print?

The attached image was taken somewhere between 1955 to 1960.

A09Y7LQ.jpg

I know that in the early days of photography there was a "colourised" process/method used with black & white photo's.

To me this looks like it has been colourised, OR is the weird flat look, an artifact of the early colour film process?

As time marches on, there are probably not that many people who would know or appreciate this.

Your thoughts much appreciated.
    Canon EOS 5, EOS 300 35mm Film. Canon EOS 350D DSLR.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Colour re-touched or early colour film print?

Looks very much like ‘colorized’ As you call it. My Mother used to do this back in the 1950s. She would hand paint the black and white prints with special water colour paints and over the years produced some very convincing colour prints some of which are scattered among family members. I’m not sure if I have any in the disorganised archives of my back room but I might have a look now that you’ve bought it to my attention.
    Thanks for the memories.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    Looks very much like ‘colorized’ As you call it. My Mother used to do this back in the 1950s. She would hand paint the black and white prints with special water colour paints and over the years produced some very convincing colour prints some of which are scattered among family members. I’m not sure if I have any in the disorganised archives of my back room but I might have a look now that you’ve bought it to my attention.
    Thanks for the memories.
    This would have been taken with a Box Brownie in the mid 1950s as a black and white then hand coloured.

Greg 1.jpg

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info closei.

My brother and I were having a "discussion" about it, he was more on the early colour film side and I on the hand colourized. So your info confirms what I originally thought.

What really impresses me is the skill of the people like your mother who did this - no selecting undo if something went wrong, you probably had to start over again on a fresh print.

It also amuses me in that I often read people with a film background bemoaning digital images and all the "post-processing" that goes on. Well, if this isn't post-processing taken to the extreme, I don't know what is. In the end, if the processing "adds" to the image and context then go for it. In this case I think it does.

cheers.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched an old artisan in Thailand colourising an A4 print. It took him days to do it. His "brush" had one hair in it so effectively one pixel at a time.
    Your photo certainly looks like the "colour" prints I saw as a kid.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what really impresses me is the skill of the people like your mother who did this - no selecting undo if something went wrong, you probably had to start over again on a fresh print.

Funny you should say that, I found another one from way back where a few drops of one colour found its way on another colour. Whoops!

M & G.jpg

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh! took me a while to see it. You mean the two spots of light blue. That's a great image that "reveals" the technique used.

I reckon I would have had the skill to do it, given the time to do it, but with possibly more splotches....???

I wonder if there is a Photoshop/Lightroom filter that could replicate the colorised effect? Although one may well ask, how could a computer algorithm work out the colours in the Tartan Beret from a B&W image?

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Ahh! took me a while to see it. You mean the two spots of light blue. That's a great image that "reveals" the technique used.

I reckon I would have had the skill to do it, given the time to do it, but with possibly more splotches....???

I wonder if there is a Photoshop/Lightroom filter that could replicate the colorised effect? Although one may well ask, how could a computer algorithm work out the colours in the Tartan Beret from a B&W image?
    Don't know, I doubt it but it could be done manually in PS of course.