• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gidday

Thought I would come here to grab some tips after being out of photograghy for some time due to other commitments (Uni)...and I am heading to Uluru in November so wanted to get back to learning what i have forgotten.

cheers

col

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Gidday

Send Nate Patterson a PM. He lives up that way.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

G'day. As for cameras, what you have now ?
    Your phone would likely cover more than you think

The dumb question -- what have you forgotten ; and how much of it all did you know ?

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gidday and thanks for the replies...

As far as Uluru goes, I will only be up there for a couple of days so will be flat out seeing what I hope to see such as Uluru, the Field of Light and The Olgas...

As far as what I have and what I know and have forgotten?
    I have a Sony A300, not a bad little device and a couple of books on digital photography such as a field guide...and what have i forgotten, well that happens to be a lot after I had an accident and acquired a brain injury...

Here are a couple of photos that I took a while ago...no post processing done except for resizing....

Tarraville Church South Gippsland
    Tarraville Church.jpg

Port Albert South Gippsland
    Port Albert.jpg

cheers

col

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'day Col,

I'm Nate (the fella Closei) was referring to. I live and work out near the rock. Depending on when you are here (and my work schedule I should be around).

If you are driving out or even if you're flying in and hire a car, Even if you fill your days (they will be long days) doing Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Field of Light over 2 full days will be hard. Be prepared to start early and finish late. Its already hot out here. Mid to high 30s and by mid November 40+ is common and doing anything in the heat of the day is tough and uncomfortable, (if the heat doesn't kill you the flies will). Kata Tjuta is a 50km drive from the resort. If you start early, at or just after sunrise and are fit and healthy, you can do both the Valley of the Winds (7.6km) and Walpa Gorge (1.6km) walks out there in a day but its hard going in the heat and you will need plenty of water.

They do both sunrise and sunset field of light (FOL) tours (the only way you can see FOL is on a tour).

Uluru is about 20km from the resort and the base walk (complete lap of the base of Uluru) is around 10.6km and you will want to start it early too.

If you have any questions or want to know something specific feel free to PM me or post here. I'll be happy to help where I can.

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"after I had an accident and acquired a brain injury..."
    bugga; sorry to hear that

Camera: stick with what you have and have used before will save mistakes

Get out with camera to take non-important photos to refresh the mind as much as possible -- backyard/parks/streets are full of "tourist" subjects to practise with. Don't worry to much about "arty" stuff -- when in doubt use the camera's full program mode/s but think before you click .
    The best tourist trick is to have the sun over your shoulder whenever possible.
    The best photographer trick is to use different camera angles -- get the camera down lower, or higher, or move a bit to the left or right .
    >> The first place you pick to record the subject/scene
    will very likely not be the best angle available <<

Photos posted: not too much wrong a little basic editing wouldn't fix. You need to watch horizons are recorded as level; especial over sea water -- your second photo is on a lean

Practise practise practise on easy subjects then the more important subjects will be easier to record
    Post some photos and ask for honest CC . Also post photos/subjects you are having trouble with.

There may well be some good storm clouds in November which will be something a little different
    Which lens or lenses do you have?

Have fun working out any problems you might have (before you go )

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Patterson View Post
    G'day Col,

I'm Nate (the fella Closei) was referring to. I live and work out near the rock. Depending on when you are here (and my work schedule I should be around).

If you are driving out or even if you're flying in and hire a car, Even if you fill your days (they will be long days) doing Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Field of Light over 2 full days will be hard. Be prepared to start early and finish late. Its already hot out here. Mid to high 30s and by mid November 40+ is common and doing anything in the heat of the day is tough and uncomfortable, (if the heat doesn't kill you the flies will). Kata Tjuta is a 50km drive from the resort. If you start early, at or just after sunrise and are fit and healthy, you can do both the Valley of the Winds (7.6km) and Walpa Gorge (1.6km) walks out there in a day but its hard going in the heat and you will need plenty of water.

They do both sunrise and sunset field of light (FOL) tours (the only way you can see FOL is on a tour).

Uluru is about 20km from the resort and the base walk (complete lap of the base of Uluru) is around 10.6km and you will want to start it early too.

If you have any questions or want to know something specific feel free to PM me or post here. I'll be happy to help where I can.

Cheers Nate
    Thanks for that Nate...appreciated...
    Am going to be there for three nights so am hoping to make it to the things I want to...FOL the first night, bike ride around the rock the 2nd day and then Kata Tjuta the 3rd day and maybe the sunset that night and sunrise in between...
    Will be relying on transport provided as we are flying in and out...

cheers

col

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    "after I had an accident and acquired a brain injury..."
    bugga; sorry to hear that

Camera: stick with what you have and have used before will save mistakes

Get out with camera to take non-important photos to refresh the mind as much as possible -- backyard/parks/streets are full of "tourist" subjects to practise with. Don't worry to much about "arty" stuff -- when in doubt use the camera's full program mode/s but think before you click .
    The best tourist trick is to have the sun over your shoulder whenever possible.
    The best photographer trick is to use different camera angles -- get the camera down lower, or higher, or move a bit to the left or right .
    >> The first place you pick to record the subject/scene
    will very likely not be the best angle available <<

Photos posted: not too much wrong a little basic editing wouldn't fix. You need to watch horizons are recorded as level; especial over sea water -- your second photo is on a lean

Practise practise practise on easy subjects then the more important subjects will be easier to record
    Post some photos and ask for honest CC . Also post photos/subjects you are having trouble with.

There may well be some good storm clouds in November which will be something a little different
    Which lens or lenses do you have?

Have fun working out any problems you might have (before you go )
    Yeah, the ABI is a problem and I am dealing with it....

As I mentioned in my post I hadn't done any post processing with the photos I posted...just wanted to get some idea of the merit of them...

I can't remember what lenses that came with the camera but it came with a standard and a zoom...I will look at it when I get home and let you know....

cheers

col

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

New to forum looking for tips and improvements. I am particularly interested in Landscapes & Astrophotography. Already booked next year's trip through western Qld to Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru, Coober Pedy and back to Brisbane via Innaminka.