• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Nikon!!!

So what are peoples thoughts of the new Nikon Z7??

As an Olympus user, all the same talk about size, battery life, lens selection, etc., has already been and gone, so I am more interested to hear you thoughts.

Did Nikon do well for a first try into mirrorless?

Can they catch Sony?

Are there enough die hard Nikonians that will not leave the brand and see it sink.

Where's Canon??
    "Anyone who recommends anything without knowing what you want to do with it should be ignored." Ken Rockwell

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New Nikon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    So what are peoples thoughts of the new Nikon Z7??

As an Olympus user, all the same talk about size, battery life, lens selection, etc., has already been and gone, so I am more interested to hear you thoughts.

Did Nikon do well for a first try into mirrorless?

Can they catch Sony?

Are there enough die hard Nikonians that will not leave the brand and see it sink.

Where's Canon??
    Hard to know without trying one Nigel. I've been with Sony DSLT and Mirrorless for a few years now and I see no gains in changing. Sony are probably manufacturing and supplying the sensors for Nikon I suspect, you might know better?

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

look nice, but I won't be in a rush to change brands.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm another Olympus user & am just looking at these out of curiosity. I stumbled on this video initial hands on review & it shows a fair bit without trundling through a heap of written reviews etc. so it will be interesting how well it takes off.

"Nikon Z6 Z7 review first looks - not a Sony killer yet!"

https://youtu.be/_nauzVklivI
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    I use Olympus E-M1 Mk I & Mk II, E-M5 & Stylus 1.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should elaborate on my comment. I think what they have planned for these is cool, bigger lens mount to let more light in, etc is great. pricing and specs are cool. but lack of eye af and dual card slots is a real disappointment. the price range and general specs scream semi-pro to pro market, but it's few things it missed will hurt sales.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris788 View Post
    I should elaborate on my comment. I think what they have planned for these is cool, bigger lens mount to let more light in, etc is great. pricing and specs are cool. but lack of eye af and dual card slots is a real disappointment. the price range and general specs scream semi-pro to pro market, but it's few things it missed will hurt sales.
    Another video (I was silly enough to watch) mentioned an interview with Nikon management with something about there being no typical battery grip with controls & shutter button etc, but just an add on battery pack to come. That doesn't sound nice.
    Ross

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    Another video (I was silly enough to watch) mentioned an interview with Nikon management with something about there being no typical battery grip with controls & shutter button etc, but just an add on battery pack to come. That doesn't sound nice.
    It does seem that Nikon has gone for a semi-pro model, not a full-on pro replacement. Hence the battery pack, not grip.

Many reviews, much the same outcome, a good camera, but not good enough to unseat the current range of single digit DSLR's from Nikon or Canon.

Looking at the reviews, the same issues that arose from the first Sony's and the first Micro 4/3rds are again the talked about issues.
    Too short a battery, doesn't focus fast enough, no twin cards, etc.......

With the lens road map out, you would expect that if Nikon wanted to push the system, they would be pumping out lenses as fast as possible to fill a usable lens range.
    But, it looks like Nikon have only wanted to do enough to cover the semi-pro line up at the moment. The question is what do they have up their sleve?
    Are they going to allow the third party manufacturers in on the action, and make lenses for the new system? (Nikon don't give out the electronic setup for their camera, so the third party's have to reverse engineer the lens to camera body information, not always getting it right!!)

Have they entered the market to stop pros from jumping ship to Sony, while they work on getting there act together and getting it right the second or third time?

Should Nikon have gone with an APS-C sensor, like Canon??

What's now looming from Canon?? Are they going to step up their M series cameras??

All interesting times, as the big two start dipping their foot in the mirrorless water so to speak.
    "Anyone who recommends anything without knowing what you want to do with it should be ignored." Ken Rockwell

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumours of canons first full frame mirrorless have popped up (conveniently)
    With sony's a7iii a7R and a9 bodies smashing the mirrorless market, it will always be hard for any manufacturer to make gains in this market, just seems silly to release a body that isn't up to spec with the leaders in the market.

with such good compatibility of canon L series lenses on sony bodies (with the right adaptors) I don't think Nikon should have been too concerned about losing their users to a sony system (especially if they are pro- semi pro shooters with a good line up of lenses in their collection. good grounds for canon to be worried though...

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris788 View Post
    Rumours of canons first full frame mirrorless have popped up (conveniently)
    With sony's a7iii a7R and a9 bodies smashing the mirrorless market, it will always be hard for any manufacturer to make gains in this market, just seems silly to release a body that isn't up to spec with the leaders in the market.

with such good compatibility of canon L series lenses on sony bodies (with the right adaptors) I don't think Nikon should have been too concerned about losing their users to a sony system (especially if they are pro- semi pro shooters with a good line up of lenses in their collection. good grounds for canon to be worried though...
    And to add to the excitement, there is a rumoured Panasonic FF possibility too.
    Ross