Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Lens recommendation for amateur sports photography

Hi All,
    I am new to this Forum so apologies if this question has been asked already.

I recently upgraded my Nikon D3200 and Sigma 18-250 lens to a Nikon D7500 and a Nikon 200-500 lens. I am an amateur and use my camera on the auto sport setting (sorry to those of you rolling your eyes, lol) for taking photos of my son playing AFL, Baseball and the like. My Sigma 18-250 lens lasted me about 4 years before I decided it was time for a new one and purchased the 200-500lens. I have only had it 3 weeks and am finding it is just WAY to much zoom for me. I think I will have to sell it and try to buy something that has a smaller bottom range as I cannot take any close action photos on this lens.

I wondered if anyone had any advice on what I could replace this lens with that has a smaller bottom end range but will still take amazing action photos? I've spent the last 3 days looking online and am now confused with the different brands and lenses available given many state the range and then also state that paired with a DX lens the zoom is actually 1.5x larger (making my head spin). I will need to pop into a camera shop to actually look at my options but any advice you can give me before hand would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lens recommendation for amateur sports photography

Hi Naomi, I don’t use Nikon but I have used Sigma lenses of a similar range (150-500) for sports action photography quite successfully. I think you might have touched on the problem when saying you use an auto mode to capture the action.
    I can only tell you what I use in a similar situation. Of course the distance you are from the subjects will make a huge difference, but I tend to set metering on centre, focus on zone continuous, f8, shutter 1/600+ white balance on auto and iso on auto. Take a burst of about 4 frames for every shot. You can delete the ones that don’t work for you in camera. Action photography takes a lot of practice and you do need to be prepared to waste a few to get the good ones.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Closei's advice is pretty solid here.

I'm also not a Nikon shooter so the specifics of what you using aren't familiar to me but I used to have Canon 70D (crop sensor) so a crop factor of 1.6 and had a lot of success using a 100-400 mm lens (which I still use with my full frame body) and if I ever want extra reach have a 1.4 extender that works a treat with my set up. I think you will get the hang of using that lens at the 500 mm end with practice and patience but if you are missing too many shots at the wide end you can't really remedy that short of moving further back from your subject or go to a full frame body which will shorten the lens from what is effectively 300mm back to 200mm which is still pretty tight.

If you do decide to sell the lens and look at something a little wider at the short end don't be scared of off brand lens there is some good stuff out there now made by Sigma, Tamron and the like at generally lower prices.

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma do a 50-500, but its not too fast - you might be better with a 70-200 f2.8
    nikon abuser