User Tag List

• Display
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recent Red Centre adventures by star light.

I've been out camping under the dark Red Centre night skies a few times in the last month or so and thought I'd post a few of my shots.

IMG_1669.jpg
    Playing with light under a tree lit by the camp fire at Bungabiddy rock hole (just across the WA boarder on the Sandy Blight Junction Road)

IMG_2251.jpg
    Closer to home Uluru

IMG_1176-5.jpg
    Idracowra (Chambers Pillar)

IMG_2006-Pano-2.jpg
    Wurre (Rainbow Valley)

A bit noisy but I'm happy with them. They are all single exposures so no blending developed in Lightroom. The shot at Wurre is a 5 shot panorama merged and developed in lightroom.

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Recent Red Centre adventures by star light.

Excellent results Nate. It’s a big universe out there!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mad shots mate!!
    nikon abuser

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW!!

Awesome!!
    "Anyone who recommends anything without knowing what you want to do with it should be ignored." Ken Rockwell

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    Excellent results Nate. It’s a big universe out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    mad shots mate!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    WOW!!

Awesome!!
    Thanks gents. I love this time of year. Camping is comfortable, the days a perfect and the stars are out like nothing you can really see anywhere else. The Uluru one was the hardest to get ironically (being it's in my backyard) The park has strict rules and closes at set hours and this last week has been the only real time to catch the rock in enough darkness and with some stars out before they hunt you out. There are night tours but they are expensive and well I see enough of the tourists in my work and daily life to be stuck on bus full of them to be honest

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work Nate.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That tree is amazing
    Craig
    Flickr

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first and the 4th shot are really mind-blowing ones. Congratzz!! keep sharing more

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Patterson View Post
    Thanks gents. I love this time of year. Camping is comfortable, the days a perfect and the stars are out like nothing you can really see anywhere else. The Uluru one was the hardest to get ironically (being it's in my backyard) The park has strict rules and closes at set hours and this last week has been the only real time to catch the rock in enough darkness and with some stars out before they hunt you out. There are night tours but they are expensive and well I see enough of the tourists in my work and daily life to be stuck on bus full of them to be honest
    This is great info as I would like to capture the milky way above Uluru. I will be there for a few days from 5/8/19, there is a quarter moon that sets around 11pm. The setting moon should light Uluru nicely but the problem is that it is not truly dark until just after 7.30pm. Unsure if this is possible given time to capture shot and drive back to Yulara.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    This is great info as I would like to capture the milky way above Uluru. I will be there for a few days from 5/8/19, there is a quarter moon that sets around 11pm. The setting moon should light Uluru nicely but the problem is that it is not truly dark until just after 7.30pm. Unsure if this is possible given time to capture shot and drive back to Yulara.
    This is tough one. Getting Milky Way shots over Uluru is not easy. The park closes at 7.30 in August and they are strict with this time. Rangers are there most of the time and will tell you to pack up and move on at closing. There is company that runs an astro tour in the park after dark that would allow you to get some great shots. One problem is it is run by Uluru Chinese tours a company that aims its tours at Chinese visitors and it is in Chinese but you would be welcome to go along. I haven't done it but wouldn't hesitate if it was the only way I could get the shot I was chasing.

The shot above of Uluru and the Milky Way was taken on a new moon at just on closing time so conditions were ideal to get a result before closing with the sun setting 6.15 ish and no moon allowing for the Milky Way to appear pretty early. The drive back to Yulara isn't such a problem. It's only around 20km and sees a lot of traffic at sunrise and sunset. You may encounter a camel, but I've only seen a few in 3 or so years on this stretch of road, but if you take your time and have decent driving lights its pretty safe.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks that is what I thought. I may have to settle for the milky way over Kings Canyon and/or Ormiston Gorge. Also planning to try to capture night shots in western Qld. I want to try one similar to this Windmill near Winton but with the milky way as background and hopefully some reflection in the water.
    t060100d 750.jpg

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't rule it out completely, I'm sure you will be heading to the park for a sunset, just hang around and see what happens, you might get lucky there are odd days when the rangers aren't around or so pushy just don't count on it.

I like this idea for a shot. That would make for a cracking photo! I've attempted a similar thing at Eringa while we were camping out there. The conditions just didn't help unfortunately.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Patterson View Post
    Don't rule it out completely, I'm sure you will be heading to the park for a sunset, just hang around and see what happens, you might get lucky there are odd days when the rangers aren't around or so pushy just don't count on it.

I like this idea for a shot. That would make for a cracking photo! I've attempted a similar thing at Eringa while we were camping out there. The conditions just didn't help unfortunately.
    Ok, I will keep that in mind. Another problem I need to consider is angles. Ideally I would need to shoot from the South West looking across Uluru as the milky way will be to the North East. I should get some excellent milky way shots during the new moon in Western Qld, so I could cheat and add it in Photoshop but it is not the same.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super - everyone should visit Chambers Pillar

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question for anyone who has photographed the Field of Lights near Uluru. I am not sure if a DSLR camera with a fast lens would be better than my Mobile phone (Samsung S9). I know you cannot take a tripod into the FOLs but I believe you can use a monopod. Interested to know what others have done and how the images turned out.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    I have a question for anyone who has photographed the Field of Lights near Uluru. I am not sure if a DSLR camera with a fast lens would be better than my Mobile phone (Samsung S9). I know you cannot take a tripod into the FOLs but I believe you can use a monopod. Interested to know what others have done and how the images turned out.
    Take both. If your phone is good for shooting in low light it fits in your pocket, you can't loose.

As for no tripods in the field, that is a rule, you aren't supposed use a tripod on the paths that weave through the FOL, but you can set one up on the fire trail that runs along the edge of it as long as it isn't too big to carry in your seat on the bus. You can only go to FOL by tour bus, there are all sorts of options from dinner under the stars over looking the field to just a visit and walk through. There is a dune view area that looks over the field and takes in Uluru as a back drop and you can use a tripod up there from memory. I've seen people with tripods in the field when its not particularly busy but don't count on that.

I've done sunset a few times but never sunrise. I actually think sunrise would be better, I've just never made the effort I take it for granted I guess

Just a note too, FOL is an "Art installation" so the rights to any images of FOL are owned by Bruce Munro and you have to contact him if you want to use them for any commercial purpose and technically credit him if you post them on social media

Hope that helps?

Cheers Nate