User Tag List

• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro Lens on a 550d ???

Hi guys, Im thinking about buying a Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro Lens to have a crack at macro photography but i only have a crop sensor camera ( 550D )
    how will this lens perform on this camera and will i have any issues???

Thanks in advance
    Jase.
    Camera - Canon Eos 550D

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro Lens on a 550d ???

Quote Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
    Hi guys, Im thinking about buying a Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro Lens to have a crack at macro photography but i only have a crop sensor camera ( 550D )
    how will this lens perform on this camera and will i have any issues???

Thanks in advance
    Jase.
    Fine, macro works well on crop sensors. Any issues wont be caused by the sensor size.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. In fact the crop factor gives you a little more depth of field to work with which can only help by giving a little more leeway in nailing focus if you miss by a touch. I have the L lens you're referring to and used it for years on my 700D before I sold the body to upgrade to a full frame.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Patterson View Post
    Agreed. In fact the crop factor gives you a little more depth of field to work with which can only help by giving a little more leeway in nailing focus if you miss by a touch. I have the L lens you're referring to and used it for years on my 700D before I sold the body to upgrade to a full frame.
    Sweet , so your saying the lens will be a good performer for my camera , just didnt wanna fork out the coin if it wasnt gonna work as well as if used on full frame
    Camera - Canon Eos 550D

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. . . just didnt wanna fork out the coin if it wasnt gonna work as well as if used on full frame
    Working "as well as" will mostly depend upon - what it is that you intend to Photograph.

The Subject in Macro Photography is usually the main factor in determining the most suitable Focal Length of the Macro Lens to be chosen: primarily because the Focal Length of the Macro Lens determines the Working Distance.

So, in a nutshell, the key to your question remains in what you intend to shoot - after we know that, then we would be in a better position to know what to advise: for example within the Canon Lenses, you have a choice of four Focal Lengths of 1:1 Macro Lenses:
    EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro (plus Life Size Converter)
    EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro
    EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro (also EF100/2.8 Macro)
    EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro

Then, there are other considerations with respect to shelling out coin: for example how well does this new (fast) Prime Lens fit into your existing Lens Cache and how useful will it be for your other Photographic uses?

As one example only: a 60/2.8 Prime Lens might be a more suitable fit than a 100/2.8 Prime Lens, if you have 550D and the Twin Lens Zoom Kit AND you are interested in pursuing some Shallow DoF Portraiture.

WW

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi there , i basically want to use it for taking photos of insects , fishing flies , things like that

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Working "as well as" will mostly depend upon - what it is that you intend to Photograph.

The Subject in Macro Photography is usually the main factor in determining the most suitable Focal Length of the Macro Lens to be chosen: primarily because the Focal Length of the Macro Lens determines the Working Distance.

So, in a nutshell, the key to your question remains in what you intend to shoot - after we know that, then we would be in a better position to know what to advise: for example within the Canon Lenses, you have a choice of four Focal Lengths of 1:1 Macro Lenses:
    EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro (plus Life Size Converter)
    EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro
    EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro (also EF100/2.8 Macro)
    EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro

Then, there are other considerations with respect to shelling out coin: for example how well does this new (fast) Prime Lens fit into your existing Lens Cache and how useful will it be for your other Photographic uses?

As one example only: a 60/2.8 Prime Lens might be a more suitable fit than a 100/2.8 Prime Lens, if you have 550D and the Twin Lens Zoom Kit AND you are interested in pursuing some Shallow DoF Portraiture.

WW
    Camera - Canon Eos 550D

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there back to you . . .

hi there , i basically want to use it for taking photos of insects , fishing flies , things like that
    1. Insects - dead or alive or both?

2. What other lenses do you have?

3. What Macro Lighting do you have or intend to buy?

WW

PS I have a job to get to - Saturday nights are big for me - but I will reply...

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Hi there back to you . . .

1. Insects - dead or alive or both?

2. What other lenses do you have?

3. What Macro Lighting do you have or intend to buy?

WW

PS I have a job to get to - Saturday nights are big for me - but I will reply...
    Both dead and alive , Currently only have standard kit lens, nifty fifty and a Canon 17-85mm
    The only lighting i have so far is a canon 430EX 2 flash
    Camera - Canon Eos 550D

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet , so your saying the lens will be a good performer for my camera , just didnt wanna fork out the coin if it wasnt gonna work as well as if used on full frame
    Some of the best macro work I've seen has been from a Micro 4/3 sensor on Olympus OMD. My macro work is with a Panasonic FZ300 which has sensor size 1/2.3. Both of these examples are smaller than a crop APS-C.

eg. Fungi visitors (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    (Panasonic FZ300)

As Nate said, smaller sensors are an advantage in giving greater depth of field (Focus) for a given F stop. Full frame will give better resolution but a much shallower depth. Macro photographers generally want as much in focus as they can get.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both dead and alive , Currently only have standard kit lens, nifty fifty and a Canon 17-85mm. The only lighting i have so far is a canon 430EX 2 flash
    Thank you.

Considering your answers, I see the following benefits for you buying an EF 100mm Macro over either an EF 50 Macro or EF-S 60 Macro (in no order of priority):

1. Additional 15 mm of FL to your lens kit
    2. Additional high quality telephoto Prime for other than Macro uses (i.e. you already have an EF 50 F/1.8 MkII, so a 60mm or 50mm Macro, would be a duplication of a Focal Length Prime Lens
    3. The additional Working Distance (for 1:1 Macro) will be of benefit for live insects
    4. The additional Working Distance (for 1:1 Macro) will be of benefit to allow easier lighting with one Speedlite, especially if it is Hot Shoe mounted
    5. If you get the IS version, then IS will be a benefit in some Macro shooting scenarios
    6. If you get a “full frame” Canon DSLR the EF Macro will mount (i.e. the EF-S 60 will not)

I consider the following negative should be considered:
    1. Both of the EF 100 F/2.8 Macros are more expensive than the EF-S 60 and the EF 50 Macro Lenses

On the balance, if I were you, I think that the value for money and benefits far outweigh the comparative greater cost of either of the EF 100 F/2.8 Macro Lenses. If money is tight then the EF 100 F/2.8 is a fine lens and considering that it is about half the cost of the EF 100 F/2.8L IS Macro, it is worthwhile considering. Obviously it does not have IS, but on the other hand the IS in the Macro Lens is not of the same order of usefulness as the IS in a lens used for ‘normal shooting’ – though it is still very useful in some shooting conditions. Noted also that if you get ‘into’ Macro, then a Tripod, Head and probably an X-Y Focus Rack will be on your ‘to buy-list’, in the not too distant future. That said, if you're hunting bugs in the garden, then Hand Held may be the way you go some of the time, perhaps with the aid of a Monopod, and that’s where IS will benefit.

I have the EF 100 F/2.8 and I tend to use it in the Field with a Monopod, in a controlled setting with a Tripod and Rails. Sometimes Hand Held. It is a beautiful lens for tightish Portraiture on a 135 Format (aka ‘Full Frame’) and for very tight Portraiture on an APS-C Camera and is a very high quality and useful Macro Lens on both formats; as mentioned by others there is a DoF advantage when using an APS-C camera, though that should not be over stated, it is not as if you gain inches, but you do gain.

I choose not to sell my 100/2.8 and buy the newer IS version; the gain of the IS, for me, was not worth the additional expense (basically because I don’t do all that much macro hand held, and when I do it is mostly always in bright sunlight, so I can afford to use a very fast Tv). If I were buying my 100mm Macro now I would buy the IS version – for two reasons, firstly because I could afford I, and secondly because the IS is useful, even if I would use it all that much. Notice I did not mention IQ. Yes, some Lab tests show that the IS version has better IQ – I have used both and for in the field tests the better IQ, when I could see it, was at F/2.8 and at F/3.5 – so how much is that lens used there? – Well I do use it wide open, mainly for Portraiture, and then, in real life shooting the better IQ is not noticeable, mainly because of the Subject Distance, Framing and the fact that there is a Background that is usually yearning for a nice ‘bokeh’ .

Good luck with your choice.

WW

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nikon abuser

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks heaps WW that was the feedback i was looking for , thanks for taking the time to reply
    Camera - Canon Eos 550D

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice.

I have a 5d2 and a 50D. I only ever use the 100mm macro on the 50D because it's better (IMO) with the smaller sensor size
    Craig
    Flickr

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks heaps WW that was the feedback i was looking for , thanks for taking the time to reply
    You're welcome.

WW