• Display
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some from the Sony

Took the nieces and nephew out to Arashiyama to get some photos. Appalling conditions, if you look closely you'll see the streaks of rain here and there. Many flood warnings going on while we were there, but it was the only chance...

General comments are that there is still a bit for me to figure out, but it is much easier to take one photo and know I have what I want. Level indicator helps get straight photos. In general just really simple to use, but with a lot of options if you need them.

Eye focus works either amazingly or not at all. Shifting focus point to where the face is seems to negate any issues I have with it. Glasses, long fringe and shadow from the umbrella seemed to be biggest factors in it failing ie it only really failed for one of the nieces.

These were cropped a little, bit of lightening on the face, my usual touch of contrast and bump to saturation. Some shots I did some keystone adjustments but probably not these.

Last comment is the files are pushing 80-90 mb for ARW format at full resolution. JPEGs some times turn out well enough through in camera wizardry and metering competence I don't think I will be using it 100% in RAW mode. I did however buy a 256GB card all the same...

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Some from the Sony

Look pretty good to me!
    The resolution and dynamic range available in the Jpegs just about makes RAW redundant. I've only used it once to compare.. then back to jpeg! Those cameras are pretty good!

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    Look pretty good to me!
    The resolution and dynamic range available in the Jpegs just about makes RAW redundant. I've only used it once to compare.. then back to jpeg! Those cameras are pretty good!
    Yeah, I think for general travel photos, I'm happy to jpeg, but for things like these, I'll continue to shoot RAW. The fact I am taking less photos because I am surer of the capture kinda negates any extra overhead requirements, so storage wise isn't that big of a burden.

I did accidentally turn on bracketing mode somewhere during the day, and that totally burns the storage...! Live and learn.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Q97 View Post
    Yeah, I think for general travel photos, I'm happy to jpeg, but for things like these, I'll continue to shoot RAW. The fact I am taking less photos because I am surer of the capture kinda negates any extra overhead requirements, so storage wise isn't that big of a burden.

I did accidentally turn on bracketing mode somewhere during the day, and that totally burns the storage...! Live and learn.

What are you using to process your Sony RAW files?

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capture one. I still haven't given up on using my new rig, but...it just gets done faster with what I am used to. Workflow wise, C1 is hard to beat (for me).

Incidentally, I was thinking to just use the free Sony licence, but it refused to open my NEFs and RAFs. Had a discount offer to upgrade from 8 to 11 so figured might as well.