Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sensor Cleaning: What Works for You?

Hi All,

I have dust or something on my sensor. Have checked out cleaning options online. Looks like a dry clean is the best option to start with in terms of cost & effectiveness. Am looking at buying a refill Arctic Butterfly brush as the machine itself is pricey.

I've read that wet cleans can leave residue in the corners. The gel-stick looks promising but some pple have had issues with that leaving residue.

Would love to hear what works consistently for you, both for dry and non-dry cleaning.

Many thanks!!

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Sensor Cleaning: What Works for You?

try blowing it away with a good quality puffer is the 1st thing
    I'm a bit behind sensor cleaning these days -- 4-5 years since I did it

some camera stores do it at a reasonable price while the main camera repairers do it for a few more $$

I had rather hit-miss results

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    try blowing it away with a good quality puffer is the 1st thing
    I'm a bit behind sensor cleaning these days -- 4-5 years since I did it

some camera stores do it at a reasonable price while the main camera repairers do it for a few more $$

I had rather hit-miss results
    Thanks; yeh did that and no win. Total pain in the a. Never had that issue w/ my FM2

(Nor having to worry about the shutter mechanism failing after 150000 clicks - seriously Newer, 'high spec' bodies and the shutter needs replacing after x clicks?!! )

I'll buy the brush from B&H & see how I go. Appreciate your feedback

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

surely they are available locally ?

try this mob -- just around the corner for you (if sydney wasn't so big )
    One of the better locals

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    surely they are available locally ?

try this mob[/URL][/U] -- just around the corner for you (if sydney wasn't so big )
    One of the better locals
    Nice one, thanks; will check it out

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scary, scary topic.
    I'll add a few comments and also explain "what works for me"
    If it is a rare problem for you, and you can afford it, then take it in to a camera store for cleaning.

Have read over the years to always tilt your camera down when changing lens and cleaning. Well I've got news for you. Ever sat near strong sunlight in a room? You will see dust rising in any warm thermal. Your body warmer than it's surroundings?
    My problems started some years ago with my old Canon 1ds. Still have it and it still likes to suck in dust.
    My basic kit as such is a small blower and a brush that attracts dust onto it. When finished cleaning, you touch the brush against something metal to earth it and flick with your finger tips and anything there falls off.
    Even so, dust was so stubborn it refused to come off the sensor. I have even used a vacuum cleaner and held it near the camera with limited success.
    Wet cleaning:
    Originally used record cleaning fluid, but later purchased spectacle lens cleaning fluid. I then get some cotton buds. Yes I have read not to use these as fibers fall off, but I dismiss it...Because..
    As with previous comment about unable to clean to the edge. I get a pair of scissors and cut the rounded tip off the cotton buds, careful not to cut down to plastic stem.
    I then squeeze gently to form a square end. Dampen and I do mean dampen bud and gently clean. Dry with similar buds.
    Still have my record collection and didn't want to use up the fluid.
    Have fun;

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDD View Post
    Scary, scary topic.
    I'll add a few comments and also explain "what works for me"
    If it is a rare problem for you, and you can afford it, then take it in to a camera store for cleaning...
    ...As with previous comment about unable to clean to the edge. I get a pair of scissors and cut the rounded tip off the cotton buds, careful not to cut down to plastic stem.
    I then squeeze gently to form a square end. Dampen and I do mean dampen bud and gently clean. Dry with similar buds.
    Still have my record collection and didn't want to use up the fluid.
    Have fun;
    Thanks EDD! Appreciate your time on this. So you've not had cleaning fluid residue issues I'm guessing? Read about people using the you-beaut swabs / fluid but having residue remain in the corners.

It is scary; so scary I bought a 'gel stick' to do the job but after reading some negative experiences shat myself and the thing remains in the case unseen

Gonna have to bite the bullet soon & get into it. Or just keep cloning out those spots in the sky areas

Thanks again mate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I purchased lens cleaning solution, and that would be mainly (99%??) distilled water with surfactant.
    The square ends I use to go around the edges. A quick rub with flat part of bud on the main area. Same method when drying.
    To my best belief and knowledge, the sensor array has a coating, so you are not rubbing/touching the array.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For dry cleaning I prefer Giottos Rocket blower. You will get it from Amazon. Check this link. https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA190...=digitren08-20
    When I feel need for wet cleaning I prefer VisibleDust’s sensor cleaning kit. It has five swabs and two sets of solution.Before using follow the instructions whatever kits you get.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jannatul18 View Post
    For dry cleaning I prefer Giottos Rocket blower. You will get it from Amazon. Check this link. https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA190...=digitren08-20
    When I feel need for wet cleaning I prefer VisibleDust’s sensor cleaning kit. It has five swabs and two sets of solution.Before using follow the instructions whatever kits you get.
    Greatly appreciate the detailed feedback mate

It's a scary topic; nice to discuss before jumping in the deep end

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDD View Post
    I purchased lens cleaning solution, and that would be mainly (99%??) distilled water with surfactant.
    The square ends I use to go around the edges. A quick rub with flat part of bud on the main area. Same method when drying.
    To my best belief and knowledge, the sensor array has a coating, so you are not rubbing/touching the array.
    Thx EDD