Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Editing Room: Lighting

Hey All,

I'm wanting to get a colour-correct light bulb for the room where I edit. From what I've read it's an integral part of colour perception and colour management, which I'm interested in so I can output accurately; both for web and print.

Perhaps the best 5000K high CRI bulbs I've found are from Yuji but they're too pricey. Custom Lighting Solutions offer a dimmable 5500K bulb that's also full spectrum but it's $50 + shipping. I'm not sure about the broad spectrum aspect in terms of effect on colour perception. Seems like it wouldn't have any negative effects (without knowing more).

If you have solid experience in this realm, particularly outputting to print, I'd love to hear what you use to light your editing space and if you know of affordable, high-CRI bulbs besides the ones I've mentioned.

Many thanks!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Editing Room: Lighting

I would think the light emanating from the screen would be the primary scource and any exptenal lighting would have little effect on th edit. The screen is adjustable and can be calibrated to the colour temp which you find most suitable for the type of shots you take. I can understand how external lighting may effect the look of prints but not so much an image on a screen. I do my editing in a fairly dim lit room with just one supplementary LED lamp.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

don't over worry about it for now Bryce -- there's more important things .
    Are you using a laptop or PC?
    is there any natural light in the room?
    How well can you "see" the colours? What colour is "blue"? --- somewhere between light grey to light dark grey

''perfect'' colours only really matter if you are printing lots of [important] photos.

To give you an idea : my laptop with an ext monitor is in a room that has [changing] natural light -- I have never device calibrated my screens ; not even in pro days. Yet most times a printing photo from a professional quality lab was not correct was because I missed seeing something -- the printed photo pretty well matched my screen image .

Reading ''perfect'' photo colours on a screen is a bit of art in itself

don't get me wrong, photo Colour is important , however it takes awhile to really understand and see colours exactly

If most better quality www photos look Ok on your screen than rough enough is good enough for now

You will likely enjoy photography more if you forget the total perfection side of it as perfection will likely find you .

Post a few of your photos you feel are about colour correct and ask for feed back .

A great edit tip is edit the photo to where you are happy --- put the image away for a day or so or longer and look at it again with fresh eyes . There are times I could have 1/2 dozen or so photos on the go at the one time with that method .

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks closei, appreciate it! I've got the dim light down thanks to a dimmer switch. Guess you're using a regular store bought LED?

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce New View Post
    Thanks closei, appreciate it! I've got the dim light down thanks to a dimmer switch. Guess you're using a regular store bought LED?
    Yes, nothing out of the ordinary. I use LEDs as supplementary lighting with my underwater camera gear as well and find it quite close to daylight temperatures.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    don't over worry about it for now Bryce -- there's more important things .
    Nice! Thanks Ian; great to hear that! Very reassuring.

I've got a 7yr old Mac desktop. Bought an Xrite calibration kit and calibrated last weekend. This room does have natural light altho' I've bought heavy curtains so I can keep the light at a constant. But maybe I don't need to worry about that?

Cool I'll upload a colour shot when I'm done. Appreciate the assistance!

My current room light is a halogen bulb - yellow as. Feeling a LED might improve things a bit for when I'm working at night, in terms of keeping the room a bit more neutral? Having said that the monitor's the main source of luminance...

How well can you "see" the colours? What colour is "blue"? --- somewhere between light grey to light dark grey
    Honestly, I have no idea. Unless I did a test or something. When you say blue us between light and light dark grey, you mean in terms of tone or...?

Thanks!

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great feedback closei; thanks again.

The more I see the digital stills 'norm' online i.e. heavily processed / edited photos, it makes sense that outside of pro prints e.g. for client or gallery, colour matching is not critical at all.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My current room light is a halogen bulb - yellow as. Feeling a LED might improve things a bit for when I'm working at night, in terms of keeping the room a bit more neutral? Having said that the monitor's the main source of luminance...
    You can buy 'daylight' tubes and bulbs from specially lighting stores

Honestly, I have no idea. Unless I did a test or something. When you say blue us between light and light dark grey, you mean in terms of tone or...?
    Go to a paint shop and collect a dozen or so blue or whatever colour test strips >lay them out on the table , pick several , and mark them on the back . Put the strips away for awhile [hours - day - week - month (??) ].
    After that time; lay out all the strips and pick those marked colour strips .

The midday sky without clouds is all blue ; we all know that -- But what tone of blue?

Try this one -- take several photos of broad areas of sky >know look at each on the computer screen and you will likely notice the blues is very different across the screen and the blue will be different in the different files ...

easier to do it ..

just a standard lens used so only a narrow band of sky
    all I have done to the raw files is cut out the middle and flipped it around / up and down

So does all this matter at the start of learning modern photography ? Not really IMO --- it just makes digital photography harder , more complicated , and more confusing (sometimes more expensive) and all that can very easily become too overwhelming and a loss of interest . Build and cross your bridges as you need them .

And don't get me started on gear and stupid number of photos people take today
    Umm --- why did you buy that BIG impressive looking ; but bulky and heavy old fashioned dsrl camera ?

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can buy 'daylight' tubes and bulbs from specially lighting stores...

...So does all this matter at the start of learning modern photography ? Not really IMO --- it just makes digital photography harder , more complicated , and more confusing (sometimes more expensive) and all that can very easily become too overwhelming and a loss of interest . Build and cross your bridges as you need them .
    Thanks re. daylight bulb feedback.

Fully appreciate the homework tasks too. Putting the edit (or paint shop test patches) away for a couple of days is a great idea

Yes, great advice to learn only what you need to at the time. I was trying to follow that - then one youtube vid led to another ("Oh I need to learn that too...") and then the overwhelm kicks in

Umm --- why did you buy that BIG impressive looking ; but bulky and heavy old fashioned dsrl camera ?
    The 5DMk3 ticked the boxes for decent image quality, low light sensitivity, ability to shoot vid & I could afford it, unlike a mirrorless. In the same price bracket at the time it looked like I might get more bang for buck than w the equivalent Nikon. You are suggesting another option?? Cheers!

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I threw out the work Canon 5d11 dslr some time ago to use an Olympus Em1; a camera I consider the best I have used . I also have a Panasonic Fz300 that consider the most versatile camera I have used . There is , and has been for years, far too much importance on file/photo quality instead of actual photography quality .

I really wish I had this Oly; and the sense to use such a camera when I was doing wedding/portrait photography.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I threw out the work Canon 5d11 dslr some time ago to use an Olympus Em1; a camera I consider the best I have used . I also have a Panasonic Fz300 that consider the most versatile camera I have used . There is , and has been for years, far too much importance on file/photo quality instead of actual photography quality .
    Ah nice to learn of the Oylmpus; thanks! Super keen to rid myself of the weight of the dslr so will check 2nd hand pricing. Lenses aren't any more exxy than for dslr?

How do you define photography quality Vs photo qual?

Cheers Ian!

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

photography quality is about the decisions made before hitting the shutter button -- reading and using the light / composition / camera angle . The thinks that cannot "fixed" with a computer
    The quality of editing is also a big part of the more serious photography -- the viewer of photo should not be able to see what has been done even if they know something has be done .

photo quality is more about the bigger enlargements --- look how sharp my photo is sort of thing

I actually "down-graded" my gear to show newbies they don't have to have the latest and biggest whiz bang gear as some "experts" say . One of my all time favourite cameras was a little Point and shoot Canon G11 . I lent -- gave that G11 to my very non-photography minded darling X when she went overseas -- she now has several 30 x 20 and even 40 x 20 inch photos on her wall !! . And she used full program jpegs !!

I often think about getting the latest Canon G ?? camera --- far better than the old g11-12 cameras but that would be another $800-900 blown on this hobby

Any camera is only as good as the driver using it imo

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

photography quality is about the decisions made before hitting the shutter button -- reading and using the light / composition / camera angle . The thinks that cannot "fixed" with a computer
    The quality of editing is also a big part of the more serious photography -- the viewer of photo should not be able to see what has been done even if they know something has be done .

photo quality is more about the bigger enlargements --- look how sharp my photo is sort of thing

I actually "down-graded" my gear to show newbies they don't have to have the latest and biggest whiz bang gear as some "experts" say . One of my all time favourite cameras was a little Point and shoot Canon G11 . I lent -- gave that G11 to my very non-photography minded darling X when she went overseas -- she now has several 30 x 20 and even 40 x 20 inch photos on her wall !! . And she used full program jpegs !!

I often think about getting the latest Canon G ?? camera --- far better than the old g11-12 cameras but that would be another $800-900 blown on this hobby

Any camera is only as good as the driver using it imo
    Ok, gotcha.

That's damn impressive getting quality 30x20" prints from a P&S!! That's all about knowing the camera's limits and working within them yeh?

Appreciate your comments & time spent making them mate

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robertsherry View Post
    Wow that too good. My problem was also solved.
    one thing about being a moderator --- I'm always learning new stuff about the world
    Today and with thanks to robertsherry I learnt the United Kingdom is in Bangladesh
    or is Bangladesh in the United Kingdom

Going by the Ip address; United Kingdom is in Bangladesh ------- now that has the old rusty bells ring