• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Thinking of jumping ship

No cheap lenses for full frame Sony. The adapters do a pretty good job but not as good as the native range.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    No cheap lenses for full frame Sony. The adapters do a pretty good job but not as good as the native range.
    yeah, they are a bit pricey, but the kit lens and an adapter would probably do for a while. The fuji xt2/xh1 suffer the same problem - lenses don't come cheap.

I just want a new camera and not have to worry about being murdered in my sleep.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue with the rumoured Nikon mirrorless is the new lens mount. I’m sure there will be adaptors, but you won’t get all of the benefits, if any from the new lenses.

While I have tinkered with the idea of getting an Olympus setup, there are a few things which hold me back. One major one is watching users in the field, I’ve never seen so many people chimping, and they are, IMO, a PITA. Blocking the view for other photographers while they check out the shot, make adjustments to the camera, take more shots, and more chimping.

We’re currently on holidays in the UK and Ireland, and this is the first big trip where I’ve left the DSLR’s at home, preferring to use Fuji instead. Not only for the size and weight when in the field, more importantly smaller bags and weights for carry on luggage on the planes.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post
    The issue with the rumoured Nikon mirrorless is the new lens mount. Iím sure there will be adaptors, but you wonít get all of the benefits, if any from the new lenses.

While I have tinkered with the idea of getting an Olympus setup, there are a few things which hold me back. One major one is watching users in the field, Iíve never seen so many people chimping, and they are, IMO, a PITA. Blocking the view for other photographers while they check out the shot, make adjustments to the camera, take more shots, and more chimping.

Weíre currently on holidays in the UK and Ireland, and this is the first big trip where Iíve left the DSLRís at home, preferring to use Fuji instead. Not only for the size and weight when in the field, more importantly smaller bags and weights for carry on luggage on the planes.
    Enjoy the holiday Richard, I took the A6000 Sony last time overseas and it worked well.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well to add to the confusion...hey, it's what I'm good at...

a7Rii with Zeiss 24-70 f4 is about in the ball park...

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Q97 View Post
    Well to add to the confusion...hey, it's what I'm good at...

a7Rii with Zeiss 24-70 f4 is about in the ball park...
    Thatís pretty much what I have only With the 55 mm Zeiss prime instead. I bought the 100-400 G lens while still with the A6000. Works better on the full frame. Have adapters for my old Olympus and A mount lenses and kept a few APS-C E mounts as well. In practice Iím using the 55 and 100-400 almost exclusively.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thatís pretty much what I have only With the 55 mm Zeiss prime instead. I bought the 100-400 G lens while still with the A6000. Works better on the full frame. Have adapters for my old Olympus and A mount lenses and kept a few APS-C E mounts as well. In practice Iím using the 55 and 100-400 almost exclusively.
    Do you need a specific adapter for each brand of lens? each lens? I have sigma, Nikon, tamron, tokina and voightlander! Only the sigma, a Nikon and voight are FX, and voight is manual focus. So yeah, interested in that option.

oh, and just reading a review where they say because of its resolution, it is still worth using aps-c lenses...

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you need a specific adapter for each brand of lens? each lens? I have sigma, Nikon, tamron, tokina and voightlander! Only the sigma, a Nikon and voight are FX, and voight is manual focus. So yeah, interested in that option.

oh, and just reading a review where they say because of its resolution, it is still worth using aps-c lenses...

Not necessarily each brand, but certainly yes for each type of mount. For example you may have Nikon, Sigma and Tamron all with the same mount for Nikon so you just need a Nikon adapter. You are likely to lose some functions and slower AF but they work fine as manual lenses where function is lost.

My 30 mm 1.8 APS-C Sigma lens works really well and gives 18 Mp. The camera automatically adjusts the format.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic! That makes a compelling case then. Cheers for the info!

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...there seems to some kind of deal at the moment, buy an a7Rii and one of a select range of Zeiss lenses, and there is some cashback. Looking into that tomorrow, 24-70mm looks like it would do me for quite nicely.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I jumped. D810 was too expensive for not enough. So on Tuesday I went to a camera shop and looked at 7Rii and Zeiss 24-70 f4, was given a price...went home to think about it. Went back today, the guy gave me a new price •30,000 lower, and on top of that I get •30,000 cashback.

So I'm relatively happy, but broke. If the menu hack doesn't work, then I'm happy to learn the Japanese for the price I got it.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I jumped. D810 was too expensive for not enough. So on Tuesday I went to a camera shop and looked at 7Rii and Zeiss 24-70 f4, was given a price...went home to think about it. Went back today, the guy gave me a new price •30,000 lower, and on top of that I get •30,000 cashback.

So I'm relatively happy, but broke. If the menu hack doesn't work, then I'm happy to learn the Japanese for the price I got it.

Good luck with it, canít help you with the translations but I guess youíre a fair way down the track already.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it will be ok. If the language unlock works then I'll be happy. If not, I'll have to work it out, slowly. I know a bit of kanji, this will give me some motivation I guess. Currently waiting patiently for the batteries to charge.

I need to get online later and order a nice big SD card...

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it will be ok. If the language unlock works then I'll be happy. If not, I'll have to work it out, slowly. I know a bit of kanji, this will give me some motivation I guess. Currently waiting patiently for the batteries to charge.

I need to get online later and order a nice big SD card...

oh, and the best news is I should be done with what camera should I buy type questions for a while.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, and the best news is I should be done with what camera should I buy type questions for a while.

and what would this be without a photo?

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should mention, the language unlock tool worked! Makes things a lot easier.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should mention, the language unlock tool worked! Makes things a lot easier.

Glad for you!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will look forward to your progress!

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoy the holiday Richard, I took the A6000 Sony last time overseas and it worked well.
    Thanks and we did enjoy the trip. Over 8,000 photos to work through. And guess what, I've invested into Olympus. The recent sales and some additional haggling made it too good a deal to pass up IMO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12