• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coolumn in Oils

I took this photo from Pt Arkwright looking towards Coolum when we were up there in January, and love the effect I got when I applied the Oil painting stylized filter in Photoshop.

As I've been looking at it, I'm wanting to put in a stylized sail boat. My thought is that a real oil painter would have added the sail boat with just a couple of brush strokes to represent the hull and the curving sail. However, I can't figure out how to get it in there with the look I'm after.

When I applied the Oil painting filter, it appears that all the water and foliage has been converted to "brush strokes" that follow the appropriate directions for those components, so I thought perhaps if I added some "brush strokes" in the original, and then do the conversion, the "sail boat" would get some "brush strokes" in the appropriate direction, but all I'm getting is vertical brush strokes through the bit I added, and the "brush strokes" from the conversion don't follow the direction of my added white curve.

As this is a sea scape, the sail boat should not be too large in the image, and doesn't need detail, but I would like it to look like the painter just added the boat with the stroke of a brush.

From Coolum in Oils by John Blackburn, on Flickr

original (slightly different crop...):

DSC_4842 by John Blackburn, on Flickr
    John Blackburn
    My Flickr page
    "Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Coolumn in Oils

l like it too
    nikon abuser

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must have missed this one. Not a great fan of the oil filter but it seems to work ok with this one John. A sailboat wouldn't be too difficult to add but with that sea running it would be a fair way off shore and may not add much to the seascape.

Just for fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John's.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	81744

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Greg, appreciate your comments and your edit.

I’m staring to be dissatisfied with how the sky was treated by the oil paint filter. I will have to isolate the sky and try fiddling with the parameters of the filter to see if I can get a more logical brush pattern in the sky. The default parameters seem to have worked best for the trees.

Your addition of the boat shows me that my idea of a boat would add an extra dimension to the image, but your boat has more detail than I imagine an oil painter would use. My though would be that the painter would only put in a representation of a boat with a curved brush stroke or 2. With your addition, I can see more clearly where the boat should be, and that the representation of the boat should possibly have a wake.

You’ve definitely given me some food for thought..

Cheers,
    John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Blackburn
    My Flickr page
    "Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."