• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this good enough to print?

Hi! I recently photographed a sunrise at Griffin Gully Jetty in Geelong. Now, other than the fact that the panorama stitching has resulted in the front of the railings to be out of shape, can you guys comment on it? I'm thinking of printing it as a gift for someone but just wondering if it's really good enough for that. Thanks, and don't worry, I can handle the abuse

Edit: not sure why I can't upload images... here's a link for now: https://500px.com/photo/248268695/ri...-by-isaac-chua it's also very muted when uploaded...

Image coming soon

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is this good enough to print?

I'd be inclined to crop a bit off the left side but recon it would make a great canvas

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    I'd be inclined to crop a bit off the left side but recon it would make a great canvas
    About here with a bit more red and yellow saturation IMO

Attachment 81707

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, it does look a bit muted here, my screen isn't calibrated

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Best trick is to get a 'proof' printed first
    I will come back later with a couple of other points

where are getting bogged when uploading?

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Best trick is to get a 'proof' printed first
    I will come back later with a couple of other points

where are getting bogged when uploading?

Ooh yes!! I haven't thought of that. Thanks a lot, I'll have to look into that. I think the uploading problem may be due to my device restrictions...

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice panorama.but the horizon appears a little out.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePanda View Post
    my screen isn't calibrated
    My screens have never been device calibrated

How do these look on your screen? --- a laptop screen or a monitor? --- in a room with consistent lighting? That means little to NO nature light

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen test photos-15.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	81715
    do they look black, white, and grey

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen test photos-10.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	81716
    atm; my screen is a little bright when looking at the white end; but then I do have natural light coming in through a faded blue curtain . Rough enough is close enough --- do all my shared photos look way off colour? I know they are not perfect but .... !

General comment
    Calibration maybe more important when printing photos; however; calibration is only as good as you can read the tones and colours on the screen. Most lab printed work related photos I rejected were due to me NOT seeing the tones and colours on the screen properly; BUT most clients could not see the problem (that doesn't mean I let them have the "reject")

It can take awhile, or a long time, or never been able to read a photograph; and electronic screens make it even harder

For personal use and even online sharing; rough enough is close enough imo.

Like I said; get a proof printed --- it's amazing what you will notice to be different in a printed photo.
    Posting the image here is also a great idea; but ask for honest comments

never rush into sharing or printing photos -- there is always something that could be changed

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m always careful with being to picky with forum uploads: 900 pix wide means a lot of information is gone.

All good advice here in this thread.

My bit: make sure you go for max size and dpi and safe as tiff. The printshop will work with that to get the correct canvas size.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In regards to image critique, it would be great to straighten that horizon. It's bending up a lot on the left hand side.
    I'd also like to see a bit more jetty in the foreground. There's probably some nice detail in the wooden planks that could be more of a focus point.
    Otherwise, the sky and colours are looking great. Nice shot.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The more I looked the more I find that I would likely correct if the image was mine

William pointed out the little horizon dramas on the LHS, which made think there was not a lot going there anyway --- so it got the chop. To straighten the horizon I use photoshop Liquify as my Pse version does not have 'wrap' in transform; something I often used in photoshop days --- I do miss that tool

That sun highlight was annoying me so I cloned some nearby darker cloud over that at around 30-50% -- just to tone it down and hide the blown area.

even though they are natural; those reflections on the rhs are bugging me somewhat --- at first I thought they were exposure bands in the image stitch up; however they do not go into the sky --- but they just do not look right (??)

This is what I ended up with after a quick fiddle around; but I wasn't there so mostly guess work.

More than happy to explain the edits if required

originally; more was cropped off the rhs and now I feel that crop was better --- the jetty was closer the lrh side
    Btw ; no a lot happening the foreground water so some of was chucked out also

I think this image is a good example of 'trying to get it all in"; or "trying to get too much in". Often a photo is better because of what is not there

I hope that helps without offending

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ian I like the idea of cloning over the sun highlight. I'm always bothered by getting a blown out sun spot, but I've never thought to cover over it. It looks much better. Kudos!
    I know you did the photoshop job quickly, but just something I've learnt is to avoid this type of cloning. Instead, I copy a section of sky, then align it properly above, then brush it in with a mask. Then you can fine tune the patch by adjusting the layer levels. It's more work but gets a better result.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamSG View Post
    I know you did the photoshop job quickly, but just something I've learnt is to avoid this type of cloning. Instead, I copy a section of sky, then align it properly above, then brush it in with a mask. Then you can fine tune the patch by adjusting the layer levels. It's more work but gets a better result.
    I have done that also -- especially on larger areas.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks indeed, I'm quite disappointed with how much empty space there is in the photo, as I was expecting the pier to take up the majority of the foreground, which after stitching became tiny. Appreciate the edit! I like the look without the blown out part, will post an update