• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copyright Question

Hi All. Can I please ask a question about copyright? If you are commissioned for a paid job, does copyright still remain yours unless you've give the client rights? Also, are they allowed to dictate how you would use the images in your own portfolio and social media?

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Copyright Question

as I understood it ; but it's been awhile since I have needed to think about .

Domestic photography >> the client owns the copyright.
    commercial work >> the photographer owns the copyright

social media/composition >> always ask first

Sadly; today contracts; or agreements as I called them are important.

Best to google australian copyright council or get legal advice BEFORE you need to get legal advice

Image Editing
    No
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need a contract.

I went to a lawyer and got them to write up a template, cost about $500, but solves any issue like this.

When someone wants to me my services, I send them a copy.

I state that they get full access to images to be used how they want, within the law, however copyright will remind with my business.

I also make sure the payment terms are in there
    [/I]http://sportingphotos.com.au
    http://twitter.com/sportingphotos
    Internationally published photographer

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, Any idea on the going rate for a company to purchase the rights to exclusive use of your image for commercial use, for example on t shirts or other saleable items for set term or set period of time eg 2 years?

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great! Thank you for all the replies. That's what I've told her and she seems to be happy with that for now. I have a contract but I think I might need a lawyer to redo it for me.
    @Nate_Patterson - there's a website somewhere that calculates it for you. Can't remember what it was called, but if you google it, I'm sure you could find it...

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leebird View Post
    Great! Thank you for all the replies. That's what I've told her and she seems to be happy with that for now. I have a contract but I think I might need a lawyer to redo it for me.
    @Nate_Patterson - there's a website somewhere that calculates it for you. Can't remember what it was called, but if you google it, I'm sure you could find it...
    It really depends how serious/big you are now or hope to become; but do you really want to getting involved with lawyers, legal threats, courts, and that s***??
    I used to have a very basic "agreement"; because I hated those long mobile phone contracts. I cannot remember referring a client back to the agreement after the job.

Get over copyright stuff when dealing with domestic clients -- it's usually not worth the arguments IMO -- they will usually win in court.
    Commercial photography is and can be more complicated; but in the end I got job, did the job, supply the photos/files, got the $$, and moved on; however I was dealing mostly with smaller businesses in the country. And yes; some did the wrong thing but they often didn't know that .

And yes; I'm still owed money just like most smaller businesses -- some people are s****; but most aren't