• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 60D or 7D

After spending a lot of time researching my DSLR upgrade (from a variety of equipment, but currently a borrowed 40D), I had settled or rather hoped to pick up a new 80D

My financial situation has changed now, so I'm looking for a second hand body, and are some advice on whether the 60D or 7D mk1 would be best for motorsports, mainly motocross. It'll be paired with a 70-200 f4 L lens

My main gripe with the 40D is the autofocus speed,and being only 10MP is a bit restrictive for cropping. I also only have a small CF card, so that would be an extra expense if I got a 7D, or indeed stuck with the 40D

I'd plan to have the new (s/h) body for about a year and would pass it onto my daughter when I upgrade

Is the 60D much of a step up from the 40D?

I'm settled on a canon and weather resistance, fps, autofocus performance are important to me. Most work is in a dusty but well lit environment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Canon 60D or 7D

Haven't used either hammy but from reading the specs 60D would be a better deal than the 40D for sports. It uses a SD card by the look of it which really is a minor expense when it comes to cameras. 7D steps up again in performance. Perhaps some-one else with experience in those selections might make some useful comment for you.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I've had some other advice that the 70D is a significant jump in IQ, AF speed and high ISO performance than the 60D or 7D so any first hand experience with that would be useful

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    Thanks. I've had some other advice that the 70D is a significant jump in IQ, AF speed and high ISO performance than the 60D or 7D so any first hand experience with that would be useful

Hi Hammy,

Welcome aboard!

I'm a Canon shooter and started out with a 700D a few years back until I out grew it. I was planning on upgrading to a full frame model but wanted to wait and see what the 6D Mark II would offer when it was released which kept being put back and back. In the end I couldn't stand the frustrations I was having with the limitations of the 700D (all be it a great camera to start out with to learn and grow) they were getting the better of me. I looked at a 7D as my mate had one and it was a great, but when I looked into a 70D I found the only real benefit of the 7 over the 70 was one frame/sec and slightly better dust and weather proofing. I went with the 70D as they were at the time (about 12 months ago) a couple of hundred $ cheaper used and the I find the fully articulating screen on the 70D invaluable being mainly a landscape shooter. You are right 70D has a higher usable ISO range and improved AF plus the cheaper SD cards over flash cards as well. Comparing the 60D to the 70D I never really looked at the 60 seriously but from what know the 70 is a big step up and if you can find a used 80D within your budget I'd jump on that straight away over any of the mentioned options the 80D is an even bigger jump and a cracking camera.

I have upgraded to full frame recently but still have my 70D as it's a great camera for shooting birds and other wildlife with the extra reach you get from a cropped sensor.

If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them the best I can.

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the kind welcome Nate.

Good to hear that you're happy with the 70D and I'm currently thinking that getting a 60D would be rather pointless at this stage.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a 7D mk1 for some testing perhaps as I've never even held one of these. Otherwise 70D/80D may be my best bet

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used an 80d, for bird shooting, was a magnificent body. I like the idea of the dual card slots in the 7d however, so depends if the backup is worth it.