• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second Shooter

Question: Is there an expectation that Second Shooters shouldn't use the images they take for someone else in their own portfolio?

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Second Shooter

I don't know the rules on this one but I'm certainly interested to hear others thoughts here on it.

I'd assume being that it's still your work, you should be free to use it in your portfolio???? But maybe it's frowned upon or in the conditions of you being on the shoot you can't use or you loose the rights to the images or their use?

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i only second shot for a little while and this was in america. i had to shoot using the photographer's cards and turned them all in at the end of the event. he would send them off to his editor for post processing and i'd get copies later. once he found out i was interested in editing i also got the originals. i was allowed to use it in my portfolio, but not for advertising myself or to sell. i owned the copyright, but had signed a contract with the photographer stating what i was and wasn't allowed to do.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worth talking to the main photographer, and have a clear indication before you shoot of what the expectations are, along with the use of images.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roicead View Post
    i only second shot for a little while and this was in america. i had to shoot using the photographer's cards and turned them all in at the end of the event. he would send them off to his editor for post processing and i'd get copies later. once he found out i was interested in editing i also got the originals. i was allowed to use it in my portfolio, but not for advertising myself or to sell. i owned the copyright, but had signed a contract with the photographer stating what i was and wasn't allowed to do.
    Interesting, good info there. Makes it difficult to get a portfolio started if you sign away the your rights to use them. I guess you could get away with using them in hard copy portfolios, and not spray them over the internet..
    Thanks!

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eerik Sandstrom View Post
    Interesting, good info there. Makes it difficult to get a portfolio started if you sign away the your rights to use them. I guess you could get away with using them in hard copy portfolios, and not spray them over the internet..
    Thanks!
    i can put them on the internet or in a portfolio as representation of my work, just not for sale.