• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi From Perth

I have just recently developed a passion for photography (strictly in an amateur sense).

I have picked up a lot of info online but thought it might be good to have people with more experience critique my shots.

cheers.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Hi From Perth

welcome; this place is better than face(less)book so just post photos and ask questions -- the only silly or dumb or stupid question is the one not asked

do you have a camera yet --- yep the phone is a camera today and a very good one

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    welcome; this place is better than face(less)book so just post photos and ask questions -- the only silly or dumb or stupid question is the one not asked

do you have a camera yet --- yep the phone is a camera today and a very good one
    Hi Ian, Yep I have an Olympus OMD EM10 mark ii plus a Oppo R11 phone.

I will post a few photos so you guys can see where I am at.

Geoff

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Chris. I am just attempting to attach some photos. See how we go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

not too shabby at all --- oly em camera are great imo. I have the em1

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    not too shabby at all --- oly em camera are great imo. I have the em1
    Thanks Ian. Ironically the one from the deck of the ship in Alaska I took with my phone. The only thing with the oly for a beginner is the amount of settings lol

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

there are over a million different combinations that can be set in the em1 Not use who worked that out!

This might make your jealous http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html -- in some ways the em10 mark2 is better/more modern than the em 1.
    Some stuff could be useful with yours.
    I have an 'everyday' custom setting that has the camera ready to go in seconds: auto iso (max 1000] -- Av set to f8 -- raw -- auto WB -- single centre point focus -- single shot -- front dial Aperture -- back dial Exp/comp -- centre weighted metering -- histogram in viewfinder. Could be a few more settings (??) but the camera is usually set there most of the time as all settings can be changed on the run

I only have a 12-40 and 20mm lens . 20mm is mostly the urban/street lens. Certainly the best camera I have used and that's after 40 years of fiddling with the silly things

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info Ian. I will have a good read of the guide, it looks comprehensive.

I went on line when i first starting using the camera and copied the camera settings recommended by a pro (don't recall their name). A lot of them as it happens are similar to yours.

Currently I am using aperture or shutter priority with some exp/comp and letting the camera basically do the rest. I am still a bit confused about how to apply the histogram while shooting so need to do a bit more reading.

I currently have a 14-42, 45-150 and got myself a 25 mm 1.8 prime lens for Xmas (JB Hifi vouchers are handy).

I have been messing around with lightroom but have come to the conclusion you need a proper monitor to get consistent results.

cheers

Geoff

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Geoff,

Welcome aboard. Some nice shots in that 1st batch. Your off to a good start.

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Patterson View Post
    Hi Geoff,

Welcome aboard. Some nice shots in that 1st batch. Your off to a good start.

Cheers Nate
    Thanks mate. Always good to get a third party to cast an eye over your photos.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the madhouse. Well, I'm crazy... dunno about the others
    Craig
    Flickr

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
    Welcome to the madhouse. Well, I'm crazy... dunno about the others
    A bit of insanity makes life interesting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stapo49 View Post
    Hi Ian, Yep I have an Olympus OMD EM10 mark ii plus a Oppo R11 phone.

I will post a few photos so you guys can see where I am at.

Geoff
    How's the R11? I was thinking of getting one of those when my plan is up for renewal.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamSG View Post
    How's the R11? I was thinking of getting one of those when my plan is up for renewal.
    Purely as a phone it's great. Does most everything the more expensive phones do . The finger print scanner is really quick. It takes a good photo, probably not in the league of iPhone X or Google Pixel 2. But it depends on your budget. I just tried to attach some random camera shots but it wouldn't let me. Something about needing twenty posts? The picture of my dog in my previous post was taken with it in portrait mode.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am still a bit confused about how to apply the histogram while shooting so need to do a bit more reading.
    I have been messing around with lightroom but have come to the conclusion you need a proper monitor to get consistent results.
    Geoff
    This might help with the histogram digital-photography-school.com/how-to-read-and-use-histograms/
    Basically it shows you if the file will be or is over or under exposes. The right hand side is the real important one to watch as you cannot recover data from blown/over exposed light tones . i had note notes about it and will post if I can find it

Yep; a lappy is rather useless for serious photo editing so an ext monitor is the way to go -- matt screen is usually better also. You can spend a $1000 or more on the top shelf ones but that imo is not needed for happy snappers . I might have a few links to help set up the ext monitor. BTW; I have never used a device to calibrate my screen -- rough enough is good enough IMO.

I'm busting to back to a PC -- totally over laptops!!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. Yep I think a $1000 may be out of my budget but definitely some half decent monitor is better than laptop. Thanks for all the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purely as a phone it's great. Does most everything the more expensive phones do . The finger print scanner is really quick. It takes a good photo, probably not in the league of iPhone X or Google Pixel 2. But it depends on your budget. I just tried to attach some random camera shots but it wouldn't let me. Something about needing twenty posts? The picture of my dog in my previous post was taken with it in portrait mode.

Yeah ok, thanks for the info. Actually I only really care about how good it is as a phone. And how good a signal it gets. I take the occasional happy snap with my phone, but I can't bring myself to do proper photography when I know it would be better with my DSLR.
    What I really need is to be able to find my location when I'm driving between shoots and not drop out during client phone calls!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamSG View Post
    Yeah ok, thanks for the info. Actually I only really care about how good it is as a phone. And how good a signal it gets. I take the occasional happy snap with my phone, but I can't bring myself to do proper photography when I know it would be better with my DSLR.
    What I really need is to be able to find my location when I'm driving between shoots and not drop out during client phone calls!
    No problems with GPS or signal. Though may be dependent on carrier. Does everything else a phone should. Good value for money.