Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom 5 Raw photo exposure issue

Hi all,
    Just had a quick question regarding an issue I've encountered with how raw files appear when I upload them onto Lightroom 5. I took the attached photos below using the Raw + Fine jpeg setting on my camera (a Nikon D7000) so they are just two copies of the same photo with identical settings. The first photo is the jpeg file with no alterations whilst the second is the raw file as it looked after upload into Lightroom (exported as a jpeg) but with no changes made to it either. However, whilst the christmas lights themselves appear nicely exposed on the jpeg image, on the RAW image they all look horribly overexposed and blotchy. Interestingly enough, when viewed on the camera itself the raw file looks fine.

I understand that this may be because of the way Lightroom reads and processes raw files that are imported to it. However, is there any way to change this so that the raw file looks the same as the jpeg? This is because I would prefer to use the RAW file but I can't because of this issue.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

DSC_8500-2.jpgDSC_8500.jpg

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Lightroom 5 Raw photo exposure issue

that is because the camera has edited the jpg file and the raw files are just that; a raw file with no camera processing at all. When the camera edited the jpg it actually threw away any pixels not needed while the raw file has all the data in-bedded

That is why raw are the better to have; things like white balance and exposure are far more editable than a jpg

Although looking a bit over cooked atm; I don't think I would have been able to pull this edit off from one jpg file. The raw file gave me far more data to work with

The VERY important thing was not to blow out the highlights; however slightly blown h/lights are far more recoverable from a raw file . If I wasn't so lazy I would have used the tripod and made a HDR image.
    All the edit done in Lr5

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    Interestingly enough, when viewed on the camera itself the raw file looks fine.
    The image you see on the back of your camera will not be the raw file as such, usually the in-camera software will dress them up a little.

Importing raw files into lightroom, bridge, or adobe camera raw, they will always look fairly flat, and it's up to you to process them to how you would like. ACR and lightroom both have an auto adjust button, so you can hit it ant it will make a few adjustments, from there you can make a few minor tweaks from that while you are still learning how to edit and process raw files.

When I'm doing larger shoots, such as race meetings etc, I'll often just shoot in JPEG as they're "pre-processed" in camera and I make some of my own minor tweaks to any that I like a lot.

for more of my smaller shoots, private shoots, or portrait shoots, I'll shoot in raw so that I can process them how I like, knowing all the data that I want is there, much like Ians example.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm thinking we might be talking to ourselves Chris

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Not at all Ian but you already know my feelings about shooting everything in Raw.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll chip in, I always, 100% of the time have my camera set to shoot in RAW and JPG. I use the JPGs to have a quick look at the photos and mark the ones I want to develop to my liking. Having my camera set up for this makes very little difference to the space taken on the memory card then if I was just shooting RAW and it speeds up my post processing.

As has been stated above the RAW file will always look flat and lifeless as the camera does nothing to the file other then capture as much data for you to process later as is possible by the sensor.

Cheers Nate

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    Not at all Ian but you already know my feelings about shooting everything in Raw.
    For those who don't know, I rarely shoot in Raw. I find modern camera Jpeg quality more than adequate with plenty of latitude left for processing.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

that is because to OP has not been back

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is because to OP has not been back
    That happens.. at least it gets a bit of activity happening.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Patterson View Post
    Having my camera set up for this makes very little difference to the space taken on the memory card then if I was just shooting RAW and it speeds up my post processing.

Again, depending also on the practice, I will set mine to RAW only or sometimes JPEG only when I know I'll be taking alot of burst shots. My low spec Canon 1300d has a small buffer that fills rather quick, when i'm in jpeg only, i can continuous shoot for a long time, however in raw, or raw + jpeg, i'm lucky to get 8-10 shots with the buffer filling.