User Tag List

• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nothing to photography? No magical grand landscapes near you?

Nothing to photography? No magical grand landscapes near you?

I have followed those thoughts for many many years; and I don't need to go far to find natural; and man made abstract and non-abstract subjects that others might look at but never 'notice' what they look at .

Another way to put it : there are countless little pictures hiding inside all the big grand pictures; or the not so grand pictures.

Doesn't matter if others think you are -- it's likely they are crazier

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Nothing to photography? No magical grand landscapes near you?

Too true Ian.
    Often beginner photographers go into the hobby thinking cameras are for pointing at curtain subjects and go out focused on finding those subjects.
    The result is often forums full of examples of the same pictures with nothing new to say, only exceptional examples stand out from the rest which can be disheartening for those trying find their feet.

A photographers trump card from beginner to expert will always be their individual photographic eye for that will look interesting, thought provoking, spark some emotional response or tell a story in a photo.

Much like music, stepping outside the mainstream can have a smaller audience, but always understand that if something draws your interest no matter how silly you might think it is to take a picture of it, if you develop the skills to best convey what that something was then you are making great strides in your photography.
    All important is for your picture to have something to say, it doesn't have to be grand or slap you in the face, just giving a fresh perspective on even the most mundane is a wonderful thing.

Communicating what it is like to see the world though your eyes (and working on expanding your ability to see what is right in front of you) is an important goal in photography and it will always find a connection with the viewer if you learn to do it well.

Here is an inspirational explanation from Jay Maisel one of the greats at finding jewels in the mundane.
    Cheers Doug

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

good stuff Doug; thanks for dragging out what would seem to be just another boring thread by yours truly

More of Jay's photos --- never knew the name but I have noticed a few of his photos on the www.
    https://www.featureshoot.com/2017/01...ld-jay-maisel/

I have often grappled with 'what's to photograph' around here --- no mountains or even hills, or flowing water, certainly no cool lush forests or long stem grass that blows in the wind.
    In fact I'm in that old rut a bit at the moment; however it's too damn hot anyway with another 3 day of plus 40c. In six weeks I will be saying it's too cold lol.

But when we really look there usually is something close by to photograph (practice photography); and for me, to fiddle with on the computer to learn new things.

However this one has me stuffed. Just an iPhone pic of a leaf on the footpath. There is just something about it and one of those times I wish I had the Oly with me. But it's still a subject, and now a photo, and hopefully I will make it 'masterpiece' someday
    "leaf wings" "wings of a leaf" "trying to fly up there" are some of the names that flashed through my mind at the time.

There IS something rewarding about finding the unimportant and making it into something a little more important, or even a 'personal masterpiece'; even if not many others see the point of it; after all it's just a little shadow on the footpath

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely shot.
    You are going to get scenery overload with an eye attuned to an environment like that next time you go to the coast or big smoke

I'm reminded of a shot I saw in a traveling photo exhibition of photographer Trent Parke called Ants on Jatz cracker biscuit https://www.hugomichellgallery.com/p...91204833984375

It is 1/ so aussie
    2/ so familiar it makes me marvel that he saw the shot there.

For that reason it left a lasting impression on me long after I have forgotten all the other engaging shots he showed.

Here are some other shots of his. He has done quite a few in rural Australia. https://www.google.com.au/search?cli...bih=1276&dpr=1
    Cheers Doug

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

that's an idea I hadn't thought about for leaf shadows -- put something inside the shadow

"You are going to get scenery overload with an eye attuned to an environment like that next time you go to the coast or big smoke"

more like I wouldn't know what to do with it

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks exactly like a Pinner shell. (Type of Oyster)
    Last edited by IanB; 08-02-2018 at 06:16 AM.