• Display
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Moving from DSLR to Mirrorless Camera

I have been using a DSLR for the past 7 years and wish to move to a compact/mirrorless camera. Can someone suggest which cameras I should look at?
    Gunner105

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Moving from DSLR to Mirrorless Camera

If it were me and I had the cash I'd switch to the Sony mirrorless system. They keep forging ahead with great cameras (enthusiast and pro level - the A9 is amazing as is the A7Riii) and their lens line up is getting better all the time. Which camera you choose really will depend on your budget.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any of the mirrorless systems are good.

Cameras are often replaced more than lenses, so choosing a system with a selection of lenses that suit your needs should feature higher on your selection list.

It all comes down to what you want the camera to do.
    Many models from the basic to the pro camera to choose from.
    And if possible, go and handle the cameras.
    There is no point spending hours and hours pondering over stat sheets selecting the "best", if it doesn't feel good in your hand.
    Check button placement, as it can be a pain if you have big hands. Or even the fact that as they are smaller, they offer less grip area to hold the camera, without hitting a button accidentally.

Tell us what your now using, and what's wrong with it, or the reason for the move to mirrorless, and we can help point you in the right direction of several models from all the brands.
    "Anyone who recommends anything without knowing what you want to do with it should be ignored." Ken Rockwell

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I went to Olympus and after 30 ++ years of slr and dslr cameras and have never regretted it

The Oly em 1 would be the best camera I have used while the Lumix fz300 is the most versatile

BTW-- I have a spare very near new emd1 that come with a replacement 12-40 lens I needed if you are interested

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is it that you do?

Some mirrorless systems are better at certain things than others.

I have a full Fuji kit to compliment my Canon DSLR kit. Canon for sport and wildlife. Fuji mainly for travel and every day use.
    I'll use both for portraits but prefer the Canon for the full frame benefits and OCF setup I have.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
    If it were me and I had the cash I'd switch to the Sony mirrorless system. They keep forging ahead with great cameras (enthusiast and pro level - the A9 is amazing as is the A7Riii) and their lens line up is getting better all the time. Which camera you choose really will depend on your budget.
    Hi Jamin, Thanks for response. Have looked at Sony, great camera, but at 85 it is a bit beyond my budget.
    Gunner105

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    Any of the mirrorless systems are good.

Cameras are often replaced more than lenses, so choosing a system with a selection of lenses that suit your needs should feature higher on your selection list.

It all comes down to what you want the camera to do.
    Many models from the basic to the pro camera to choose from.
    And if possible, go and handle the cameras.
    There is no point spending hours and hours pondering over stat sheets selecting the "best", if it doesn't feel good in your hand.
    Check button placement, as it can be a pain if you have big hands. Or even the fact that as they are smaller, they offer less grip area to hold the camera, without hitting a button accidentally.

Tell us what your now using, and what's wrong with it, or the reason for the move to mirrorless, and we can help point you in the right direction of several models from all the brands.
    Hi Nigel, Thanks for your comprehensive response. At 85 I'm now limited to snapping the great-grandchildren, some street photography, buildings, and landscapes - mainly including the sea. I have looked at the Fuji X-series. Like its retro look, and lightweight, good range of lens. It handles well, and suits my smaller hands. I want to go from DSLR to a smaller camera, which means moving from a heavy backpack to a small messenger style bag.

I have been using a Canon DSLR. Before that I had an Olympus OM-2 SLR, developing my own films!

It seems the Fuji X range is quite popular. Thanks
    Gunner105

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks IanB,

Being an old Olympus man I was temped by the EMD-1 (as I still have a number of Olympus Lens), but I was not at 'home' with it as the Fuji X. Thanks for your response.

Cheers
    Gunner105

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Morgo, Thanks for response. I have looked at the Fuji and like it. What model are you using, and what lens. At 85 yo I'm now limited to snapping the great-grandchildren, some street photography, buildings, and landscapes - mainly including the sea.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If I was in your place; I would be considering the Canon G5x ---- I have had several G models and they really were a good versatile camera. I only drifted away because Canon dropped the swivel screen . Now that is back I feel it would be a great "have with me" camera. 24-100/f2.8 or somewhere around there. Has many of the adjustable settings found on most 'big' cameras; not too big or heavy, but not a tiny pocket camera either; maybe a fit in jacket pocket and it can produce very good files including raw files

the down side is you pay for what get sort of thing.
    I really liked my g models when truck driving / travelling and I would certainly get the latest version if I had a need for one