Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HDR RAW File transfer

Hi there all,

For a little initial context, I am not a photographer. So please be kind haha. I am writing on behalf of my wife, whom is a full time real estate photographer. Who I try to help out where I can. She has an overseas editor who does all the HDR merging and touch ups. A typical shoot would be for 25 to 30 edited photos for our clients. Therefor give or take 130-150 shots are sent as jpg to our editor.

We are looking to increase the quality of the photos and we thought about shooting RAW to allow greater control to the editor which would hopefully yield a greater quality and sharpness to the shots. Herein lies the problem. A typical shoot in jpgs has a total file size of about 250mb or so. Where as the same thing in RAW files would be in my estimation 1.2GB. If she is shooting 6 jobs in a day, that is a lot of data to send at the end of the day.

Can I ask has anyone been able to overcome this? If so how have they done it? Is there a better method for file transfer?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: HDR RAW File transfer

They're real estate photos: does the quality have to be equivalent to something National Geographic would accept?
    Craig
    Flickr

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally unnecessary to my way of thinking. Late model cameras produce very good JPEGs with quite a lot of latitude for processing. Most modern cameras also have 'in-camera' HDR functions which should be perfectly adequate for indoor shots.

I recon if you can't get a reasonable result out of JPEG, you probably won't get much better shooting RAW.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

have the real estates complained about quality? --- maybe a case of not broken then don't fix it

RAW files are better; however that is more to do with white balance adjustments, recovery of blacks and to a lesser extent recovery of the whites

depending on the camera used; there might be times when a single raw file could be used instead of doing hdr. Pulling detail out of the blacks has come a long way in the past few years. Still advisable to not clip [blow out] the whites though

don't forget a lot a house for sale photos are taken with phones and tablets; however the better properties do get better treatment

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

bit of a demo about lightening the shadows/blacks --- not going to work on all photos
    The program used makes little difference

www.youtube.com/watch?v=coeMwqJ7QnI

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get Adobe Lightroom and do it yourself using the HDR function. It usually works great, especially for interiors, and is very quick. You'll save yourself some money too!

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

seeing the OP has not looked in since posting I'm going to close the thread so we don't waist any more time on it.

if the OP wants to continue the thread he will need to PM me to reopen the thread