• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fingal Spit

Photos taken at Fingal Spit, Port Stephens. Best way to describe it is a sand path bridging Fingal Beach and Fingal Island (aka Shark Island). It is only out of the water and passable at low tide. At high tide when there is a large swell running with southerly winds the waves from Fingal Beach south side and the waves from the north side crash into each other with considerable force. Resulting in some spectacular wave formations. This is my first go at it and the images certainly don't record the most spectacular. A lot of what I took had issues....spray, blurred, poor timing to name but a few problems. It was pretty tricky getting anything at all. There was a lot of water moving around, varying light and then there was the sand problem. The sand was constantly shifting underfoot and you had to be looking out for signs the sand may collapse completely under you. If you are ever in the area and thinking about shooting it you should always have someone with you that is familiar with the surf. It isn't somewhere to be photographing on your own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0150.FingalBlackWhite4.jpg   DSC_0204.BlackWhite.jpg   DSC_0208.BlackWhite.jpg   DSC_0213.BlackWhite.jpg  

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fingal Spit

quite dramatic! love #3
    nikon abuser

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes...a beautiful place in calmer conditions. It's always a challenge getting these type of shots. Tighter 'Field of Views' show the impact of the waves, but not the perspective of size.....Wider 'Field of Views' give perspective to the size, but then lose the impact and detail.

This is the Spit you were at (with Lighthouse in the distance) ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fingal Spit.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	81188

You are correct about not being there on your own. Can be quite a dangerous place.
    Canon 5DMkiii & 50D, Panasonic FZ200 & FT3 & TZ90, Olympus TG860 (Screen Died...now useless)

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for comments. Yes I Like to Watch this the Spit as viewed from Tomaree Headland. Beach in the foreground is Zenith, then Middle Beach, then Box Beach and in the distance Fingal Spit. The whole Port Stephens area is a beautiful place and excluding school holidays and Xmas isn't all that crowded. If you told someone that photo was of an exotic tropical destination they would believe you.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not familiar with that area but have experienced similar spits here in Tassie with strong currents working in concert with wave action. Can be pretty scary and dangerous territory to work or play in.

You did well with the shots.. Do you have any colour versions?

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love te mood the B&W sets in these shots. great work.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the colour versions. To me the colour shots don't have the impact of the black and white but I still they are okay. I am keen to have a go when the sun is out in a bright blue sky, the water is that clear green, the swell a little bigger and the wind a bit stronger. I think the colour shots then could be something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0150.Fingal.jpg   DSC_0204_01.jpg   DSC_0208.jpg   DSC_0213.jpg  

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, you didn't have much colour to work with and mono probably was your best option.

I like number 4 best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wave 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	81197

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree the B&W versions have it all over the colour ones. I also think the 4th is the better of the four shots.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The B&W have transformed what are, let's face it, quite average photos into something very special I think. I love the emotion they manage portray and B&W is perfect for that churning, tumultuous, frantic feeling
    Craig
    Flickr