• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to film!

So, I have just purchased my first film SLR (a Pentax P30) (still waiting for it to arrive).

I have a few questions,

As I am (only) 29, the only ever experience I had with a film camera was a disposable one my mum get me to take to the Paralympics back in 2000, for a school excursion. That's it, literally the only time I have ever held a film camera.

Just curious to know, how people went about deciding what brand etc of film to buy, (I'm going to grab a few rolls of B&W film) and depending what lens this camera comes with (vintage, under-saturated portraiture appeals to me), I might grab a roll or two of colour. Obviously I know that getting film is getting harder these days, but any suggestions from those of you who have a bit more film experience would go a long way.

Main ones would be contrasty B&W (Probably get a range of speeds) and dull colour ones.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New to film!

It's over 15 years since I've bought film so I've no idea what's available. Digital is so much easier to use and I'll never go back.

(Still got an archive of film cameras though, they've become ornaments in the spare room).

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    Digital is so much easier to use and I'll never go back.
    I've heard pro's and cons of film. I'm prepared to give it a crack also, you can get some decent manual focus lenses on some old bodies!

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris788 View Post
    I've heard pro's and cons of film. I'm prepared to give it a crack also, you can get some decent manual focus lenses on some old bodies!
    True, I have an adapter to use my Olympus 50 mm on my Sony. Works fine but it’s arguable as to whether it’s any better than the 55-210 zoom digital lens.. a bit faster but iq no better.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the manual so you know how to load the film, as this is the one mistake that most new to film make.
    B&W film costs more than colour to process if you get it done at a lab, so save B&W for home processing.
    Just get a simple print film 200 or 400 iso film, these will give good results.
    Get half a dozen rolls of film under you belt before you start trying other "different" films.
    Check where your local lab is, they will sell film as well, so they might be able to give you a good deal on some film.
    And you can always change the finished images if you scan the negs or the prints in photoshop., so don't fuss too much about B&W or dull colour.
    Good luck!!
    "Anyone who recommends anything without knowing what you want to do with it should be ignored." Ken Rockwell

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. unfortunately, my nearest lab id 400ks away from my place, doing a road trip this weekend to stock up!

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris788 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. unfortunately, my nearest lab id 400ks away from my place, doing a road trip this weekend to stock up!
    Most better labs will do mail order (send in your films and they will process them), so you don't need to drive there, save the petrol money and spend it on film.
    "Anyone who recommends anything without knowing what you want to do with it should be ignored." Ken Rockwell

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never tried film and honestly, just the idea gives me shivers. It must be so much more different to the digital. What's your reason to go film?

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antongorlin View Post
    I have never tried film and honestly, just the idea gives me shivers. It must be so much more different to the digital. What's your reason to go film?
    My main reason, is that it forces me to think much more about the shots that I am taking, about making sure that the exposure is correct, the composition etc. Also, it's manual focus as well, so it really slows down my process. I also like the suspense of popping off a shot, and having to wait to get it developed!
    I managed to pick some film up over the weekend, and have popped off a few shots on it.

So in all, it's a tool to use for my own improvement. On my digital slr, I tend to just pop off a bunch of shots when I get rushed or think about too many other things, knowing I cant/wont fix or crop in PP and have limited exposures.