Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New to film!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris788 View Post
    So, I have just purchased my first film SLR (a Pentax P30) (still waiting for it to arrive).

I have a few questions,

As I am (only) 29, the only ever experience I had with a film camera was a disposable one my mum get me to take to the Paralympics back in 2000, for a school excursion. That's it, literally the only time I have ever held a film camera.

Just curious to know, how people went about deciding what brand etc of film to buy, (I'm going to grab a few rolls of B&W film) and depending what lens this camera comes with (vintage, under-saturated portraiture appeals to me), I might grab a roll or two of colour. Obviously I know that getting film is getting harder these days, but any suggestions from those of you who have a bit more film experience would go a long way.

Main ones would be contrasty B&W (Probably get a range of dayspeeds) and dull colour ones.
    Stoked you are going on this journey. If you want have a bit of fun, see if you can find an old agfa rondinax daylight developing tanks (check ebay, or trademe in NZ). You can developed your negatives without darkroom with those boxes, and though they were developed for b&w, if you are careful with your temperatures, its just as easy to develop with colour (c-41). I have a couple rondinaxes that are 70+ years old and still work a charm. Its a slow process; film is not for the impatient Its rewarding to have something you can hold with that is not just pixels on a screen

For colour film, I still see fuji superia around (I prefer 200 asa) and I reckon its a goodie, I've always had consistent results and seems to be quite forgiving when developing. I actually haven't shot b&w film for a while, so I have to try that again soon!

If you not fixed on celluloid film, instant film is expensive but fun. The impossible project I believe has packfilm (peel apart) which I love, you can get some beautiful results (see polanoid ). No darkroom work involved, and you bloody forced to slow down because you don't want to the waste the precious film! Instax is the cheaper cousin I see everywhere, its fun too, but I have to be in the mood to shoot it.

And you you are truly mad... mix your own chems ( see thelightfarm )

Good luck on your adventure mate