• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ellenborough Falls NSW

This is beautiful place on the hinterland of the mid north coast of NSW. I have never worked so hard to get photos. I was staying at Forster so I thought.....checked the guides.........seems simple enough.....50 minute drive.....few kms of windy dirt road......bit of a walk up and down. Lies..... all lies. By the time I got in and out it was about 5 hours worth. The drive takes way longer and is way worse than you think. The walk in and out......according to the guides.....required a moderate level of fitness. Apparently the definition of moderate level of fitness is subjective. But it is worth it. I have posted these photos here as I am asking for comments. The photos were taken in the mid morning with some cloud making exposure (shutter speed particularly) an issue. The one thing that I think detracts from them is context. It was very difficult to get shots showing the whole falls and the ponds. I used a Nikon D3300 and a 50mm Nikkor. Shutter/aperture/ISO all varied. Just tried things as I haven't been doing this long and wasn't sure what would work and what wouldn't. One thing I can pass on.....that is obvious now but I didn't think of at the time....it is very wet at the bottom of the falls. Lot of spray and a lot of moisture in the air. I was lucky that I was carrying cloths and a plastic cover-all for the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0311.jpg   DSC_0326.jpg   DSC_0332.BlackWhite.jpg   DSC_0352.jpg  

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Ellenborough Falls NSW

The first shot is a winner (overall) for me. Very nice.

As for context... I don't think any of the photos need any more context at all. I actually prefer not seeing the whole falls (the last photo with a bit of sky in it is my least favourite)

Did you use a CPL?
    Craig
    Flickr

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough slog in by the sound of it.. and I know what that's like in Tassie. The only suggestions I might make which could have improved the end results are that a wider lens might have been helpful. (But if you don't have one you obviously use what you have) Waterfalls are generally difficult to fit in the frame so you need as much angle as you can get.

Another suggestion I find useful with waterfalls is to spot meter (or manually adjust) to get the exposure as close as you can on the water. It's easier to lift the darker areas after. This can be impossible on a sunny day without ND filters but worth considering if you're going to make the effort again.

Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer the portrait orientation, just gives a mor epleasing aspect imo. the black & white conv. is good as it has the 2 streans the landscape shot works best with it i think. come to think of it it might be the foliage which si distracting my eye in the other 2

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for comments. No didn't use CPL or filters. Just played with exposure compensation, metering and just about every other variable. At first I was disappointed with them. But they have grown on me. It was my first try at waterfalls and for that matter my first attempt at taking photos under more difficult conditions. Most of the photos I have taken have been pretty much point and shoot and generally get a result. Best thing to come out of the trek was that I learnt a lot.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[B]Re: Ellenborough Falls.
    My personal favourite is the first one - portrait. However each has it's own good points. I like the slower shutter speed to give the water life, the depth of field is good. A ND filter would have helped but as previously stated, you use what you have, after all thats what photography is all about. Continually experimenting and learning about the vagaries of light combined with the journey.
    I always say my best photograph is one I havn't taken yet.
    Enjoy mate.
    Bushy