Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting into wedding photography

Hi all

Just a question on how you all kicked off your wedding photography business/career?

It's been a goal of mine for a while now however I know I'm not ready to get out and photograph weddings as the 'photographer' so I'm looking for some advice. How did you all get to the point that you felt ready to be the photographer.

I looked into assisting/ shadowing at weddings but I kept hitting dead ends back at home in England, is assisting/shadowing/ second shooting at weddings here in Australia a thing?

I am looking into doing wedding workshops but that's not going to be possible until January time but are they worth it?

Any advice on where to go what to do is massively appreciated

Thank you in advance

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting into wedding photography

Hi Jessica, none of the current wedding photographers have responded as yet so for what it's worth I'll reply to keep you on the page.

I did about 5 years of wedding photography part time in the 1970's so I'm going back a bit.

I got my start by joining a few local sporting clubs and doing some photography related to the sports we were in. This was to get amongst people and to let them know that I was capable of getting reasonable results. I was asked by two separate couples would I photograph their weddings, (which I did) and from there the word got around.

My main job and growing young family didn't allow me the time to go any deeper into the business and towards the end I found it just too time consuming for the rewards. (Taking up too much of my weekends) I gave it up and went back to taking photos just for the fun of it and that hasn't stopped to this day.

I can't suggest any courses as I don't move in those circles any more, but others may do. Hope they respond.

Best of luck with it, practice, practice, practice, and put a portfolio of your best shots together and make your interest known to friends and others in an age group who may require your services.

Cheers Greg C.

Image Editing
    Yes (default)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a business course.

A photography course may teach you to get an image, but a business course will teach you how to keep the money rolling in.
    Understand your expenses, editing time, and getting to and from the job, need to be factored in, in order to create a profit.

Best of luck!!
    "Anyone who recommends anything without knowing what you want to do with it should be ignored." Ken Rockwell

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't done it - far from feeling like I'm capable at this stage! But I did have some relatives sound me out about shooting their wedding and looked into resources.

If you can access Lynda[dot]com (perhaps through your library? I know my local library network allow members to have have access to the site) they do have some training courses designed for those interested in getting into wedding photography.

The other thing I'd do is try to find some "small timers" who are probably solo-shooters not doing high-end weddings and put your hand up to help out. Second shooters are welcomed by SOME photographers, and if you ask enough people you might find someone prepared to give you a go.

Good luck!

(Sorry for the link work-around - I'm a new member and apparently cannot post links yet!)

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first started my goal was to become a destination wedding photographer. On paper it seemed perfect. I love to travel, I love people, I love a good party, and there was potential for good income.
    Then I did a few weddings and I learned more about myself in those hours than I cared to know.
    I realized I was too methodical of a shooter. I couldn't work with the linear approach of weddings. I hated the structure. I hated the timing. I hated the pressure. S o went into retouching full time and do what is really interesting in photography department. I honestly admire wedding photographers and I believe it might just be the most difficult genre of photography.