• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Chrisso -Landscape Photography

Ello everyone ,I'm new to this forum stuff.

I've a Canon EOS 70D with a Tamron 18-200mm zoom lens & UV filter as well as an old Panasonic Lumax DMC- FT10 waterproof pocket camera .I also have a Velbon tripod also .
    I'm interested in Australian landscape photography & outdoors stuff.
    Contemplating getting a landscape lens - 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 any thoughts ideas ,2nd hand .
    Also read up on ND filters & their use in landscape shots -delayed exposure water features ????

Any ideas ,thoughts, advice would be appreciated please ?

ta Chrisso

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisso View Post
    Ello everyone ,I'm new to this forum stuff.

I've a Canon EOS 70D with a Tamron 18-200mm zoom lens & UV filter as well as an old Panasonic Lumax DMC- FT10 waterproof pocket camera .I also have a Velbon tripod also .
    I'm interested in Australian landscape photography & outdoors stuff.
    Contemplating getting a landscape lens - 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 any thoughts ideas ,2nd hand .
    Also read up on ND filters & their use in landscape shots -delayed exposure water features ????

Any ideas ,thoughts, advice would be appreciated please ?

ta Chrisso
    Hi Chrisso and welcome. I have a Sigma 10-20 wide angle and a set of ND filters to suit. I'm quite happy with the performance of that set up. (I have it on a Sony A65).

I've had a couple of Lumix FT series waterproofs as well. I recon they are good value as a pocket camera. Photographed a European trip I did exclusively with the FT2.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

l like my sigma 10-20 also, and have a ND to fit
    nikon abuser

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Closei-for the info ,is there any particular sizes for ND filters to use ?

Chrisso.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Closei-for the info ,is there any particular sizes for ND filters to use ?

Chrisso.
    The size generally refers to the thread size on the front of the lens. In the case of the Sigma 10-20 that is 77 mm. The grade of the filter refers to the degree of 'darkness'.

I suggest you Google ND grades as there's a lot of info out there on them. For what it's worth working around waterfalls in daylight I tend to use between ND 4 and ND 6, but it really depends on what you are trying to achieve and the lighting conditions on the day. On a cloudy day I may not use one at all. A sunny day may need a graduated one. Do yourself a favour and do a bit of reading on them.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again closei,
    doing some research on landscape lens & ND filters , I'm leaning towards the variable ND Filter for greater flexibility & less to carry. Maybe purchasing lens ,filters etc online ??
    Question -can I ask about specific Australian online companies (if reputable ) on this forum ?
    Looking to save $$$ rather than buy new from a national camera franchise chain with purchase of Canon EF S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 & Variable ND filter ?
    Also technically can my Canon EOS 70D DSLR be compatible with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM.
    I'm aware EF =electronic focus , USM =Ultra sonic Motor ,would the APS-C sensors in mine be compatible to this lens being a 70D ?
    b.t.w- does this conversation get to be seen by all forum members or just the sender & receiver ...sorry new to this stuff ???
    Chrisso

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again closei,
    doing some research on landscape lens & ND filters , I'm leaning towards the variable ND Filter for greater flexibility & less to carry. Maybe purchasing lens ,filters etc online ??
    Question -can I ask about specific Australian online companies (if reputable ) on this forum ?
    Looking to save $$$ rather than buy new from a national camera franchise chain with purchase of Canon EF S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 & Variable ND filter ?
    Also technically can my Canon EOS 70D DSLR be compatible with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM.
    I'm aware EF =electronic focus , USM =Ultra sonic Motor ,would the APS-C sensors in mine be compatible to this lens being a 70D ?
    b.t.w- does this conversation get to be seen by all forum members or just the sender & receiver ...sorry new to this stuff ???
    Chrisso
    Hi again Chrisso. I don't use canon so others may give you better advice than I. Your post is accessible to all forum Members if they choose to read it. Getting a response though is an entirely different matter. Having some technical questions in there should work in your favour.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again closei,
    Chrisso

I haven't used variable ND filters (or have much experience with ANY ND filters!), but I've spent a lot of time researching and have read a lot about artefacts with the variable ones. Enough to make me consider forking out a lot more of my hard earned cash for a kit. I'm looking at something like the Nisi starter kit, on their website, in the 100mm size. I think it'll be more flexible for me than investing in screw on filters then possibly changing lenses down the track.

To answer your other question, I can't comment specifically on the lens or your camera, but there are awesome lens compatibility websites out there. I usually Google "Does a X lens work with a Y camera" and it'll bring up something useful! Otherwise... ask a good camera shop. I stress the word "good". LOL.