User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  • Thread Tools
  • Share
  • Display
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Toowoomba ,Qld.
    Posts
    4
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Ello everyone ,I'm new to this forum stuff.

    I've a Canon EOS 70D with a Tamron 18-200mm zoom lens & UV filter as well as an old Panasonic Lumax DMC- FT10 waterproof pocket camera .I also have a Velbon tripod also .
    I'm interested in Australian landscape photography & outdoors stuff.
    Contemplating getting a landscape lens - 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 any thoughts ideas ,2nd hand .
    Also read up on ND filters & their use in landscape shots -delayed exposure water features ????

    Any ideas ,thoughts, advice would be appreciated please ?

    ta Chrisso

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Devonport Tasmania
    Posts
    5,377
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisso View Post
    Ello everyone ,I'm new to this forum stuff.

    I've a Canon EOS 70D with a Tamron 18-200mm zoom lens & UV filter as well as an old Panasonic Lumax DMC- FT10 waterproof pocket camera .I also have a Velbon tripod also .
    I'm interested in Australian landscape photography & outdoors stuff.
    Contemplating getting a landscape lens - 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 any thoughts ideas ,2nd hand .
    Also read up on ND filters & their use in landscape shots -delayed exposure water features ????

    Any ideas ,thoughts, advice would be appreciated please ?

    ta Chrisso
    Hi Chrisso and welcome. I have a Sigma 10-20 wide angle and a set of ND filters to suit. I'm quite happy with the performance of that set up. (I have it on a Sony A65).

    I've had a couple of Lumix FT series waterproofs as well. I recon they are good value as a pocket camera. Photographed a European trip I did exclusively with the FT2.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Jervis Bay
    Posts
    1,630
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    l like my sigma 10-20 also, and have a ND to fit
    nikon abuser

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Toowoomba ,Qld.
    Posts
    4
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Thanks Closei-for the info ,is there any particular sizes for ND filters to use ?

    Chrisso.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Devonport Tasmania
    Posts
    5,377
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisso View Post
    Thanks Closei-for the info ,is there any particular sizes for ND filters to use ?

    Chrisso.
    The size generally refers to the thread size on the front of the lens. In the case of the Sigma 10-20 that is 77 mm. The grade of the filter refers to the degree of 'darkness'.

    I suggest you Google ND grades as there's a lot of info out there on them. For what it's worth working around waterfalls in daylight I tend to use between ND 4 and ND 6, but it really depends on what you are trying to achieve and the lighting conditions on the day. On a cloudy day I may not use one at all. A sunny day may need a graduated one. Do yourself a favour and do a bit of reading on them.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Toowoomba ,Qld.
    Posts
    4
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Thanks again closei,
    doing some research on landscape lens & ND filters , I'm leaning towards the variable ND Filter for greater flexibility & less to carry. Maybe purchasing lens ,filters etc online ??
    Question -can I ask about specific Australian online companies (if reputable ) on this forum ?
    Looking to save $$$ rather than buy new from a national camera franchise chain with purchase of Canon EF S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 & Variable ND filter ?
    Also technically can my Canon EOS 70D DSLR be compatible with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM.
    I'm aware EF =electronic focus , USM =Ultra sonic Motor ,would the APS-C sensors in mine be compatible to this lens being a 70D ?
    b.t.w- does this conversation get to be seen by all forum members or just the sender & receiver ...sorry new to this stuff ???
    Chrisso

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Devonport Tasmania
    Posts
    5,377
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisso View Post
    Thanks again closei,
    doing some research on landscape lens & ND filters , I'm leaning towards the variable ND Filter for greater flexibility & less to carry. Maybe purchasing lens ,filters etc online ??
    Question -can I ask about specific Australian online companies (if reputable ) on this forum ?
    Looking to save $$$ rather than buy new from a national camera franchise chain with purchase of Canon EF S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 & Variable ND filter ?
    Also technically can my Canon EOS 70D DSLR be compatible with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM.
    I'm aware EF =electronic focus , USM =Ultra sonic Motor ,would the APS-C sensors in mine be compatible to this lens being a 70D ?
    b.t.w- does this conversation get to be seen by all forum members or just the sender & receiver ...sorry new to this stuff ???
    Chrisso
    Hi again Chrisso. I don't use canon so others may give you better advice than I. Your post is accessible to all forum Members if they choose to read it. Getting a response though is an entirely different matter. Having some technical questions in there should work in your favour.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    10
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisso View Post
    Thanks again closei,
    doing some research on landscape lens & ND filters , I'm leaning towards the variable ND Filter for greater flexibility & less to carry. Maybe purchasing lens ,filters etc online ??
    Question -can I ask about specific Australian online companies (if reputable ) on this forum ?
    Looking to save $$$ rather than buy new from a national camera franchise chain with purchase of Canon EF S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 & Variable ND filter ?
    Also technically can my Canon EOS 70D DSLR be compatible with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM.
    I'm aware EF =electronic focus , USM =Ultra sonic Motor ,would the APS-C sensors in mine be compatible to this lens being a 70D ?
    b.t.w- does this conversation get to be seen by all forum members or just the sender & receiver ...sorry new to this stuff ???
    Chrisso

    I haven't used variable ND filters (or have much experience with ANY ND filters!), but I've spent a lot of time researching and have read a lot about artefacts with the variable ones. Enough to make me consider forking out a lot more of my hard earned cash for a kit. I'm looking at something like the Nisi starter kit, on their website, in the 100mm size. I think it'll be more flexible for me than investing in screw on filters then possibly changing lenses down the track.

    To answer your other question, I can't comment specifically on the lens or your camera, but there are awesome lens compatibility websites out there. I usually Google "Does a X lens work with a Y camera" and it'll bring up something useful! Otherwise... ask a good camera shop. I stress the word "good". LOL.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Yulara NT
    Posts
    76
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Hi Chrisso,

    I'm new to the forum myself in fact just signed up today, If you are looking at the Canon 10-22 I'd seriously consider saving a few $ and look at the Canon EF-S 10-18 f4.5-5.6 (has IS). I'm not saying the 10-22 isn't worth the money and there are some good used examples out there to found for sure.

    I was in your position a few years ago ( I was shooting with a 700D) and was tossing up between the 2 crop sensor offerings from Canon and went the 10-18 to save the $ and was never disappointed. It is super sharp for the price point and you can make some amazing shots with it. You can also find them used in great shape and save a few more $.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Cheers Nate

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    105
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisso View Post
    Also technically can my Canon EOS 70D DSLR be compatible with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM.
    Canon Crop Sensor Cameras (like your 70D) can use EF or EF-S lenses.
    Canon Full Frame Sensor Cameras can only use EF lenses.

    The EF-S lens has a bubble of glass that extends towards the Camera Body side (it allows it to get closer to the Sensor). If you put this on a Full Frame Camera, the mirror would hit it when you hit the shutter button.
    Canon 5DMkiii & 50D, Panasonic FZ200 & FT3 & TZ90, Olympus TG860 (Screen Died...now useless)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Toowoomba ,Qld.
    Posts
    4
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Hi & thanks to everyone who has replied,
    Many thanks for tips , I've purchased a new Canon EF S 10-22mm Landscape Lens at a good price & will begin to see its capabilities over next few weeks.
    Regards filters _ I'm told a UV filter is a must for any lens , (mainly for protection of the actual lens) I am purchasing an inexpensive Hoya UV 77mm HMC UV (C) filter ?
    As far as brands go is this a reliable one ? Have made sure thread size is same as lens (I'm learning )
    Mr. Google is a part of our lives now ,I guess .Thanks for that 'bulldustbkroads' ,appreciate the tip !Likewise -'I Like to Watch ' & Nate .
    I've (hopefully) enrolled in a weekend photography course at my local University & will no doubt gain tips, ideas & some hands on practical experience.
    Are there any reliable used/new camera equipment websites in Australia that anyone could recommend ?
    Has anyone had any dealings with CCCWarehouse operating out of Sydney ?

    Thanks all,
    There's sooo much ....More to life than the World we Live in,
    Chrisso

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lost. ...I use a LR5/PSE12/Nic Efex
    Posts
    27,018
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    https://www.cambuy.com.au/ . Just keep in mind most online stores don't have reliable "Australian" warranties

    I use a Hoya variable ND filter -- I'm quite sure a single nd filter would be best and there are said to be better than hoya filters; but I buy what i can afford/justify without get the real echeapos --- been using hoya for 20-30 years
    Polarising filter could be more use to you; however they don't work well on UWA lenses -- wider than 35mm

    ND variable --- don't believe the **** online about the filters don't work. People need to read the instructions!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Devonport Tasmania
    Posts
    5,377
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisso View Post
    Hi & thanks to everyone who has replied,
    Many thanks for tips , I've purchased a new Canon EF S 10-22mm Landscape Lens at a good price & will begin to see its capabilities over next few weeks.
    Regards filters _ I'm told a UV filter is a must for any lens , (mainly for protection of the actual lens) I am purchasing an inexpensive Hoya UV 77mm HMC UV (C) filter ?
    As far as brands go is this a reliable one ? Have made sure thread size is same as lens (I'm learning )
    Mr. Google is a part of our lives now ,I guess .Thanks for that 'bulldustbkroads' ,appreciate the tip !Likewise -'I Like to Watch ' & Nate .
    I've (hopefully) enrolled in a weekend photography course at my local University & will no doubt gain tips, ideas & some hands on practical experience.
    Are there any reliable used/new camera equipment websites in Australia that anyone could recommend ?
    Has anyone had any dealings with CCCWarehouse operating out of Sydney ?

    Thanks all,
    There's sooo much ....More to life than the World we Live in,
    Chrisso
    Good on you Chrissy you should get good results with that once you get a bit of practice. Just a comment on the uv filter. There's no optical reason for using one with a digital camera as they were designed to correct a daylight effect on film. They may give a little more protection to the lens but no more than a cap and hood which really should be fitted. With a wide lens you may get more lens 'flare' with a filter fitted. (Reflected light on the lens).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Yulara NT
    Posts
    76
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    I don't know of any particular used dealers I could recommend.

    Living as remotely as I do, in the middle of the desert there are no shops nearer than Alice Springs 450km away for decent camera gear. Ebay is both my friend and foe. I have picked up some very good deals on used gear but it comes with the risk that I can't see it hands on before I commit to the purchase so I am very sure to ask ALL the questions upfront in case it isn't as good as they say when it arrives so I can send it back and claim through Paypal.

    That's the only real advice I can offer on that one.

    Nate

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Dubbo NSW
    Posts
    324
    Image Editing
    Yes with CC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Chrisso -Landscape Photography

    my 2c on UV filters.
    I had them on all my lenses (for protection mostly) as I managed to get some for a good price. After a couple of shoots, getting reflections and lens flare, I took them off and threw them out! Some people swear by them, others hate them. For a few bucks, they're worth a go, but take a few shots without one on and see if you can tell the difference

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •