• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sequence

A 3 shot sequence of a wave at Dixon Park, Newcastle from a week or so ago. I have a mate who has been a surf photographer for decades and has helped me a lot. One of his pearls of wisdom....."you have to think about what the camera is seeing and not panic about how you are going to avoid the lip". Yeah....thanks for that.......just what I was thinking when I was pinned to the bottom. Comments/critique welcome. Technical stuff = 1/1250sec, f/10, 34mm, ISO (400) auto - mainly because I have found it gives ME the best results as I am still figuring things out. My mate sets at 200.

NB: After posting I found they were out of sequence. Don't know why.....the middle one is shot 1 and the first one becomes shot 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0120.JPG   DSC_0119.jpg   DSC_0121.Wave.jpg  

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Sequence

I like the middle one best (1). What camera/housing set up are you using?

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The camera is a Nikon D3300.....lens is AF-P Nikkor DX-VR 18-55MM......housing Dave Kelly custom housing. I haven't been doing this very long so it is an entry level camera. But I have found the camera to be great value for money......good features/specs/versatile/light. More expensive cameras would provide more and faster frames per second, less lag and faster memory. But that problem can be overcome with practice/experience by timing your shot and knowing what to look for. Realistically with everything happening so quickly if you don't get the shot in 4 or 5 frames you aren't going to get the shot.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idle_moments View Post
    The camera is a Nikon D3300.....lens is AF-P Nikkor DX-VR 18-55MM......housing Dave Kelly custom housing. I haven't been doing this very long so it is an entry level camera. But I have found the camera to be great value for money......good features/specs/versatile/light. More expensive cameras would provide more and faster frames per second, less lag and faster memory. But that problem can be overcome with practice/experience by timing your shot and knowing what to look for. Realistically with everything happening so quickly if you don't get the shot in 4 or 5 frames you aren't going to get the shot.
    Have done underwater photography for over 40 years so I know what you're up against. Not bothered much with the surf, but like to do some under and over shots to give some context to the location at times.

You don't need an expensive camera to get good results, but for an dslr you do need a trustworthy housing.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    Have done underwater photography for over 40 years so I know what you're up against. Not bothered much with the surf, but like to do some under and over shots to give some context to the location at times.

You don't need an expensive camera to get good results, but for an dslr you do need a trustworthy housing.

Well said closei,

Cheers,
    Les

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The middle shot is the winner for me also. Like the colors in the wave. Looks to be fairly shallow there, sand can be seen through the water.

Were you crouching in the shallows getting dumped on for these?