• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newcastle Ocean Baths

Comments/critique welcome. This was taken early one morning where the light conditions were really unusual...foggy, bursts of sun...really "soft" light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0064.Black&White.jpg  

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newcastle Ocean Baths

I quite like the image, particularly the reflections which highlight the ripple effect of the water.

Maybe you could crop out a little of the top to get rid of the horizon?

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give my two cents worth but take a load of salt with it There is no doubt you had some good light to play with
    but I find there is no specific focal point that your comp has highlighted. Usually, like most people even if they don't realise,
    look at an image and their eye will fix on something or be led through the image by a subject or its composition. When I look at this
    image my eyes wander all over it without anything specific. Even if there was a person walking down from that far walkway into the water
    it would tell a story. It wasn't till Closie said about the ripples on the water that I notice them. Of course, the small size of the images posted on the forum doesn't do your pic justice either when you're trying to
    get across the lighting conditions.

Hope the critique isn't too severe I probably couldn't do better myself.

Cheers

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I welcome any comments or critiques. I haven't been doing this all that long and it gives me things to think about. I have taken photos I am happy with but I am yet to take that one where you go...."Hell yeah". But I can see improvement and that comes from being open to suggestions. I am glad you said the photo would be helped with a focal point. I went back and found another photo that at first I wasn't sure about. Mainly because these are colour conversions and I thought the below photo wasn't that good. But with some editing it kinda turned out okay or at least more interesting. It would have been better if he was swimming but you can only shoot what you can shoot. Thanks for your comments all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0067.Black&White.jpg  

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still like the original. To me it just needed a bit of cropping to make the structure the subject. Lots of interesting angles there along with the wavy reflections. eg:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Idle 2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	80527

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any there in lies the problem with critique. It's subjective as we all look at things differently. The latest shot to me is far more interesting not only due to the person walking but you have more sky as well to give a feel for its location. There is no doubt the reflections are nice,however I can't see how you could crop it into something interesting as there's too much to take away from the reflections and little waves like the wall at the top that looks blown out and the bars don't seem to have a nice pattern at that angle.
    But hey, maybe that is the reason for critique, so you can then decide which you prefer yourself. You only have to please yourself in photography. If you try and please anyone else you you'll never be happy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sambur View Post
    Any there in lies the problem with critique. It's subjective as we all look at things differently. The latest shot to me is far more interesting not only due to the person walking but you have more sky as well to give a feel for its location. There is no doubt the reflections are nice,however I can't see how you could crop it into something interesting as there's too much to take away from the reflections and little waves like the wall at the top that looks blown out and the bars don't seem to have a nice pattern at that angle.
    But hey, maybe that is the reason for critique, so you can then decide which you prefer yourself. You only have to please yourself in photography. If you try and please anyone else you you'll never be happy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't see it as a problem at all. All your points are perfectly valid. It's all about what Idle_moments gets out of the critique. You read or listen, take out of it what you will and discard the rest.

It doesn't bother me if no-one else agrees with me but we're all entitled to an opinion. It's just a pity that we don't get more opinions.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong😄 I don't see it as a problem either just pointing out to him how subjective these things can be. By no means do I believe I'm right by any stretch just pointing out what I see in it.😄
    As you say, it's a pity we can't get more views from others and I have no idea why.😬

Sent from my LG-F350K using Tapatalk