• Display
    Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash! A-ah!

Seeing as how I probably wont be buying a new camera at the mo...maybe a Xiaomi action cam, but that's different...my thoughts are turned to getting myself some extra flash units.

I have a Nissin DI866 which I bought from someone here ages ago. It works fine. What I am thinking of is adding some more. I can get some second hand...Nissins or Nikons (SB400??) for about $130 each. Or I could by some Yongnuo YN560IV's for about $75 each.

What I'm after is wireless triggering off the Nissin (or vice~versa I don't really care which is master provided it works), all to run nicely off my D7000. Driving this decision is the light tent I have that needs more light, and the family portraits I shot last month. Despite being blurry, only having one flash was less than ideal, and actually quite obvious in the photo - centre is ok, edges of the group dim. Fixed in CaptureOne, but not how I'd like to do it.

New Nikons are far too expensive, so whaddya reckon? Second hand, YN's, or something else (Sunpak?)?

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Flash! A-ah!

Hmm...No takers?

Current thinking...This morning anyway is that the Yongnuo's look good value, well reviewed, blah blah. Price is good too. I could also save a little by going to the 560iii's that don't have wireless master ability, and could spend that money on the wireless commander, giving me the ability to put the 3 flashes wherever I want (without having the popup flash fire).

I might have a look at the second hand shops again on my way home today, and see if I find a better alternative, but that's the way I am leaning.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and about a squillion new eneloops to power the whole shebang. The ones I bought 5 years ago have only been recharged 3 times, and never because they needed it...I just didn't want to be caught short.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right.

So second hand place has 2 SB600's @ an average of ¥15000 each. Too much I think. 700's are ¥25000 each. Eek.

New Sigma's and Metz are going for around ¥17000.

Decision made. Yongnuo here I come.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and yeah. I'm fine. Talking to myself is OK. It's when I start arguing the problems start...

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Q97 View Post
    Oh, and yeah. I'm fine. Talking to myself is OK. It's when I start arguing the problems start...

Sorry I've not been part of the conversation but I simply couldn't answer your questions or make recommendations.. I've not used any of those products.

Glad you've convinced yourself, now there's no-one else to blame if it turns to out to be Sh***.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, yes, that is true.

Nah it's cool. If someone jumped in and said "no you'll burn the house down" or something like that, then I'd be all ears. Consensus seems to be that they are good for the money.

Anyhow, I've been up to something else this afternoon...Need to find appropriate section to post it... Prolly General Cat.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. Now I've seen this but may not be of much help
    I've had an SB600 and it was an ok flash. Not something I'd use for constant pro type work but for
    the average "shoot' a few shots amateur it was. I also have a Yongnuo 560 111. Manual flash just in case I may need one.
    Manual only and works on just about any hotshoe or I can trigger it with the Yongnuo wireless flash trigger also.
    The newest models however do everything the Nikon models do I believe and from what I read work quite well.
    I may buy one even though I hardly ever use the one I've got.
    At 75 bucks its really a steal compared to say the SB500.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I haven't been using mine a lot, but partly due to not using the camera so much. That should change now. Pity it took me so long to sort it out...

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bit the bullet. Ordered 2 560's and the commander module. Less that ¥20,000 for the lot.

Need to find some cheap eneloops now...

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update

Flashes and commander arrived. Good for the money. Not compatible (that I can see) with the Nissin, so 3 flash shots will require Slave mode, which seems to work well. I haven't tested on camera yet, but so far looking promising. May consider buying one more, but not yet. Plenty to keep me busy for now.

Why pay more? TTL and compatibility with other wireless units. For now, I have two flashes that can work together, and can slave with my Nissin. Probably actually good enough for anything I want to do unless people want to start paying me to take photos. Give me time, and I'll start playing around and put some test shots up. Need to fix my fargen computer too

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried taking photos with a Flash once... but I had trouble undoing my trench coat and handling the camera at the same time!

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That reminds me of a joke:

A flasher walks in with a bar...

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Q97 View Post
    That reminds me of a joke:

A flasher walks in with a bar...
    Now that's a hard act to follow

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the flashes...

I can't seem to get the Nissin to participate in a wireless group...must be shy. But it does work in SF slave mode. Quite honestly that might be good enough.

Should mention, one thing you don't get with such cheap Yongnuo's is any kind of ETL. I figure if I am setting up a group of 2 or 3 flashes I don't need ETL, so in that regard no biggie for me.