• Display
    Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At Sundown

You need to cover up, particularly at sea.

The Julie Burgess is a 64 ft. Ketch built in 1936 for cray fishing then converted and restored on two occasions. The first for the bi-centennial in 1988, and the second as a result of a grant during the GFC by the Federal Government for restoration projects for vessels of historic significance.

The 'Julie' is the last of her kind and as a working vessel fished the coastal waters of Tasmania and surrounding islands and carried up to 5 ton of live crays to Westernport Bay in Victoria for transport by train to Melbourne markets.

As a restored historic vessel it sails twice weekly with passengers when the demand is there and on special occasions, does charters such as bucks and hen's parties, evening 'wine downs' and spreading of ashes.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: At Sundown

Thanks for the info. No doubt this has an inboard donk ?. Thought 36 was fairly late to still have sails as a main form of propulsion but I'm not up on this (or much else) stuff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sambur View Post
    Thanks for the info. No doubt this has an inboard donk ?. Thought 36 was fairly late to still have sails as a main form of propulsion but I'm not up on this (or much else) stuff?

Has a 150 hp Gardner but it's not the original engine though. I don't recall what it was and it did use sail as the main form of propulsion back in it's fishing days.

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sambur View Post

Just did a bit of research as much to spark my memory as anything else. (I'll probably get asked the question by a passenger some time anyway).

Original power plant was a 30 hp Bergius Kerosene engine which gave a top speed of 4 Knots.

We get up to 8 knots in a good breeze sailing, so I expect the engine was possibly only used in light airs and docking.

Image Editing
    Please ask
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by closei View Post
    Just did a bit of research as much to spark my memory as anything else. (I'll probably get asked the question by a passenger some time anyway).

Original power plant was a 30 hp Bergius Kerosene engine which gave a top speed of 4 Knots.

We get up to 8 knots in a good breeze sailing, so I expect the engine was possibly only used in light airs and docking.
    Ok, thanks. Just the overall time to maintain it in those days would've been huge then add to that the speed and carrying capacity it's no wonder things changed. Couldn't imagine navigating bass straight on it in ordinary weather😬

Sent from my LG-F350K using Tapatalk

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jealous much! lovely to see a timber boom can't beat the ol' Gardener for reliability
    nikon abuser

Image Editing
    Yes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    jealous much! lovely to see a timber boom can't beat the ol' Gardener for reliability

Thanks Red.. Is there some personal content in the quote?